SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greengardener07

Moved my WS containers yesterday. Covers necessary?

greengardener07
16 years ago

Okay, I moved the WS containers yesterday morning as it is getting very nice out in my area and temps seem to be staying warmer, and the wife and I want to sit on our deck. So they moved from the deck, which basically gets afternoon sun to the garden bed which gets some early to mid morning sun to afternoon sun right now. When the dogwoods bloom, they will only get afternoon sun.

So now the question. Do I keep my covers on them? They are made out of either 1-gallon jugs or 2-liter soda bottles. Or, should I add more "air holes"? Right now, the only vent in the bottle is where the bottle caps would have been.

What do you do?

Thanks for any advice!

Comments (11)

• bakemom_gw
    16 years ago

Have they germinated?

• greengardener07
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh, yes, about 75 of 91 containers have germinated, and about 10-15 of the ones that have germinated have their true leaves.

• kqcrna
    16 years ago

I'd have the germinated ones open, keep the unsprouted ones closed until they sprout. I might add more vent holes if temps are really warm and they're getting a fair amount of sun.

My germinated ones have been open for a week or two. Frost due tonight, but I was too lazy to tape them all again. So I just threw a sheet or towels over them to hold the lids down- faster than re-taping only to open again in a couple of days when it's warm again.

Karen

• zengeos
    16 years ago

Oh my!!

Most of my tape has failed by now... Once I opened the containers to check them the tape all but lost any grip. So, I just make sure the openings are facing the same direction the wind goes to make sure the covers don't fly off....

I also haven't added any vent holes to any of my WS'd plants yet. So far they all seem to be fine; moisture levels in the soil seems fine... I usually check by lifting the containers up...if one feels light I add water. If not, I leave it be.

Course..I'm in Z5 and only have sprouts in about 70% of my containers so far...or thereabouts.

MArk-

• ellenr22 - NJ - Zone 6b/7a
    16 years ago

Karen,
    I did the same thing last night. It was supposed to go down to 34 degrees here. Most of my containers (those with germination) have been topless during the day. (temps into the 70's then into the 50's, so I let them be.)

I covered them last night with their container covers, but the plastic covers were pretty much shredded, so I just threw a sheet over them.

I had earlier lost cypress vine and amaranth to frost, and I don't want to lose any more.

OTOH, my poppies are out at the community garden, where it is colder than here at home, where the above-containers are, and they are on their own. Having ascertained that they are hardy, I'm no longer worrying about them.

ellen

• greengardener07
    Original Author
    16 years ago

So, I guess I should be okay for the next couple of days as it will be cooler here, mid to upper 50's, maybe 60 degrees.

But after that, should I start to add more vent holes? The squirrels can be kind of crazy around here and the birds have been scavenging a lot more recently. I do not want my sprouts to fry out there.

So add more vent holes, right?

Or do I move them?

• ellenr22 - NJ - Zone 6b/7a
    16 years ago

I would say, for day temps in the '50's and '60's, (depending on what it is) but generally I would take the tops off, replace at nite if necessary.
    Once they have germinated, if they get morn sun or afternoon sun, that is ok, cuz soon you will place them in their permanent home.
    If you don't take the tops off, definitely more and bigger holes, frying is a bigger risk than the cold.

ellen

• greengardener07
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I just saw the latest forecast. Kind of cool today in the mid 50's, lower 60's tomorrow and in the mid 70's by Friday, going up a little each day. Basically getting warmer and sunny everyday!.

Now I have almost 100 jugs out there and I am concerned with the squirrels digging and the birds pecking in the containers. So if I do make bigger holes, how do you recommend me going about it? Using a good utility knife? or a cordless drill with a large bit?

Or, should I open the holes already on the jugs and bottles to a bigger opening?

Has anyone else had problem with animals getting their sprouts?

• farfaraway
    16 years ago

After a miserable week or two with ripping tops off of my containers and then retaping them each night, messing with increasing vent holes and the like, I took Bakemom's advice: after the jug has finished germinating, the tops come OFF, even if the sprouts are just specks. The only thing I've done to my jugs in the past few weeks was push them under the awning when we were due for a hailstorm. The next day, I pushed them all back out again. None of this nonsense with tops or holes for me! I just don't have time, and if you think about it, the "greenhouse effect" is only necessary to help germination, not to help growth. My sprouts continue to grow and thrive, even with the occasional cold snap (down to 29 degrees last night. Even the basil and marigolds survived. Nobody was wearing their tops).

• greengardener07
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Okay, so tops come off.

What about the squirrels and birds? How do you protect from them damaging your work? That is what I am really more concerned with. I know the seeds can handle the temps, it is just those little furry yard rats I worry about.

• greengardener07
    Original Author
    16 years ago

okay, for the ones that did germinate, the top 1/4 of the bottle has been cut off. For the ones that did not and my vegetables (even though they sprouted), I kept their covers on.

I also hung little metal pie plates on stakes around the perimeter of the pot ghetto and in the center of it, to keep the birds and squirrels away.

But will those little shiny pie plates attract cats?

Maybe I am just being an over protective WS parent.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored