SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whaas_5a

Arborists are going to be busy in the upcoming years

whaas_5a
11 years ago

What prompted me to post this is a bit troubling. I went digging in a few spots that I knew where well watered (at least I thought) due to the location of other spring transplants but yet the soil was bone, dusty dry even at the surface.

The only thing I can conclude is that the soil below is sucking or wicking away all the moisture at the top.

I then was curious as to the "increments" of rainfall. From what I know a full 1" is required to penetrate 6-9" of soil. So in theory 0.5" would penetrate 3-4.5" of soil. Most trees roots are within 12" of soil. Please correct me if I'm wrong with any of these estimates.

With that said according to AccuWeather these are my monthly tallies for 0.5" of rain or more.

April = 0
May = 0
June = 0
July = 0
August = 1 @ 1.2"

September = 0

That is what I call a grueling drought. About 75% down in precp, which I feel like its more from a gardening perspective (yeah I know that doesn't really mean anything)as those 1/8" rainfalls do nothing.

That means that most trees without supplemental water haven't received water to 2/3reds of their roots system in 6 months.

I foresee many more causalites or stunted growth in the coming years.

Comments (11)