SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
donn_

OT - Grow/Growing Bags

donn_
16 years ago

Who has experience with these things?

In the UK they're called Growing Bags, and are apparently quite extensively used by home gardeners.

{{gwi:377453}}

They have a whole range of accessories for them, including trays and wooden frames to hold/hide them, plant support systems and specialized pot/watering ports for them.

{{gwi:377454}}

{{gwi:377456}}

{{gwi:377458}}

Over there, they are basically a fairly flat bag of potting mix, which is layed on the ground and planted in.

In the US, they're called Grow Bags, and are a more vertical application of the same thing.

{{gwi:377459}}

They're sold empty, and have drain holes in the bottom. They stand up when filled with potting mix. The heavier mil plastic models can supposedly be reused.

As usual, I'm going to have many more plants, especially Tomatoes and Peppers than I have sunny bed space for.

I also have available lawn in the front yard, with good sunny exposure.

Here's my plan:

I have a bunch of very heavy duty black plastic garbage bags which I bought for composting leaves, but only used a few. I'll fill them with potting mix and compost, punch drainage holes and lay them out on cardboard on the lawn. I'll plant them with Tomatoes and Peppers, and construct bamboo plant support trellises. I may cover them with a thin layer of woodchips, so it doesn't look like a pile of garbage bags in the front yard.

After harvest, I'll pull the dead plants, rake back the woodchips and cut open the bags, spilling the contents in place. Then I'll add some more layers of lasagna and replace the woodchips.

Voila! I've made temporary vegetable growing space, and created a new permanent bed at the same time!

What do you think?

Comments (16)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio