SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
deannatoby

Soil I'm very happy with

Reading on the "what I'll do different next year thread," I thought I'd post about my soil:

About soil, I posted in the beginning about big thick chunky soil I had bought to use. It was what our nursery uses for barerooted plants. It was full of big chunks and I thought, "Oh no, what have I done?" I called the nursery (after sowing many containers) and she said the soil breaks down quickly. Some of the big chunks are things like peanut shells that don't hang around long. I must say this big chunky soil has been great, even for very tiny seeds I sowed in it. I'm getting good germination, and it seems light and fluffy enough that there isn't a hint of compaction/concreting in any of the contianers with that soil. At most next year I'll mix it with 1/4 of a finer soil if I feel the need.

I will say, however, that sowing with it in March/April is still TBD because the chunks are still hefty. We'll see on that one. No time for it to break down with later sowing. I have these thin but wide chunks settling on the top of the soil and it doesn't look the best for seedings. They'll have to grow up and push the chunks aside.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting