SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
indyseedbank

Needed: Crash course on Rocambole garlic

I received 12 garlic cloves in the spring. They were different sizes, some larger, and some smaller.

I planted them all, but lost 2.

Right now, 2 have made scapes. 2 are still only inches tall. The rest are about a foot tall with no scapes.

My questions, relate to what to do with them now.

One with no scape, was flopping over. I tried watering it, but it was still floppy.

I pulled it up, thinking maybe it was succumbing to rot, but to my puzzelement, it wasn't rotted, and looked like a single onion bulb.

I looked this phenomenon up, and apparently, it's state of being, is called a "round".

Which apparently means that it hasn't matured enough to make cloves.

I am in zone 5b. How does one care for garlic up here?

I pulled the floppy leaves off from around the bulb, but it still has a central stem, with more leaves at the top.

The stem had a crease on one side it, so it wouldn't stand up straight.

So since I didn't know what to do with it. I put it in a wide , tall container, with spring water over the roots, and high sides for the floppy leaves and creased stem to lean on, so it wasn't flumped over.

All the garlic cloves were planted in pots because the bed that they were supposed to go in wasn't ready.

What should I do with this weak stemmed "round"?

How does one cure garlic?

Are they supposed to overwinter in the ground, aka fall planting?

Are they perennials?

Maybe they aren't freeze tolerant?

How does one make garlic powder?

I would like to keep these viable, and perpetual in some way.

This was my first year growing garlic.

Since 2 made bulbils, I want to try planting them.

When are the "ariel bulbil tents" mature?

Do the bulbils just grow straight away, or have to be cured.

Will they survive a winter outside, or can they grow inside in a pot, under lights or would they rot?

If they can't over winter, nor be grown inside, can they be stored?

I saw in another post, that another garlic newbie stated that the little bulbils are prone to rotting, or sprout in the fridge. I know it will take a long time for the bulbils to turn into a cloved bulb.

Do I need to pull and cure the growing garlic, or plant it in a half vacant raised bed, to overwinter?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor