SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ingrid_vc

A Game Plan for the Future

Melissa in the thread Garden Report wondered if it would be a good idea to begin a discussion about resource-thrifty plants, and I feel as time goes on emphasis on this will only increase in importance. Global warming is a scientific fact, and it is man-created, but whether we believe this or not doesn't really matter since most of us can see that something strange is going on, for whatever reason. When a zone 5 becomes a zone 6 in a matter of a few decades that's a pretty strong hint. Record droughts, record temperature highs and lows, tornadoes and typhoons in unprecedented number and severity, and tremendous ice storms are already a fact of life now, not in some nebulous far-away future.

No matter where we garden we'll each face challenges of some type. For me it's drought and increased intensity of sun radiation at even relatively low temperatures. Here are some ideas I've come up with to somewhat mitigate these factors:

1. Focus on keeping trees and large shrubs alive, and allocate the majority of water to them. Their presence lowers the temperature, increases humidity and provides shade for plants, animals and people.

2. I will buy no more roses. The few I've already ordered will take the place of unsatisfactory roses. As time goes on and water becomes more scarce, I'll replace the less stellar performers with more drought-tolerant companion plants.

3. Mulch, mulch and more mulch for the remaining roses. That will decrease water consumption and improve the soil when the soft leaves I'll use from some of our trees decompose. Kitchen waste will also go under the roses.

4. Recycling water from the home and collecting rainwater.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has made contingency plans appropriate for your conditions. It would be helpful and interesting for all of us to learn about them.

Ingrid

Comments (10)