SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vera_eastern_wa

OT....Mushrooms in garden!

vera_eastern_wa
17 years ago

This just happened overnight! This morning I went out to the veg bed and in between some rows of peas I found 2" black/dr. brown mushrooms popping out of the soil!

I dug in rabbit manure about the 2nd week of March. Should I be digging these out or will they dry up and go away? Will they harm plants? I wanted to add some broccoli this afternoon.

Thanks,

Vera

Comments (4)

• kqcrna
    17 years ago

Well, mushrooms are a type of fungus. If I see them in my yard I take that as a good sign that there is organic matter present in enough quantitly to support fungus. Healthy soil needs to be able to support beneficial fungi and bacteria. I find mushrooms mostly with our heavy spring rains and late summer oppressive humidity. I've never seen any obvious bad effects. I've had dog vomit fungus and that one does gross me out, though. My neighbor always has bird's nest fungus.

But what do I know?

Karen

• Nurmey
    17 years ago

I don't have an answer to your question about what to do with them but mushrooms mean lots of OM and that is a very good thing.

What I've always wondered is how the heck they can grow so big over night! It may be one of the great mysteries of life that I'll never have an answer for unless we have a mushroom expert who can chime in.

• tosser
    17 years ago

I don't have any help for this but it did cause me to realise that all the rain we've had so far this spring will probably bring about a bumper crop of morels in a few weeks!

• vera_eastern_wa
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sorry...shoulda been more clear LOL! I know what mushrooms do and what they need. I'm concerned about toxicity and cats and failed to mention it :D
    They look to be drying out now but will be raining by tonight thru Sunday. Should I remove the caps at least? The fungi threads will still do their thing in the soil.

Thanks,

Vera

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting