SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cedarlake_gw

Are Garlic Bulbils Edible?

cedarlake
15 years ago

I know nothing about raising garlic except what I've read here in the last few days. You folks have shared a wealth of information in your past posts. A sincere THANKS. The one answer I did not find is whether the bulbils are edible. As you will see in the story below, we have so many of them it seems a shame to throw them out.

Last year we purchased a small adjoining farm with an old home site. This week we discovered a large garlic patch in the old barnyard. It has thrived there for many, many years with no attention. (My apologies to all you folks who are working so hard to find the best way to grow garlic).

We found this patch at about the right time and harvested what will probably amount to about a peck of bulbs (heads I believe they are called). They range from one inch to 2-3 inches. The "Scapes" were never removed and the "Spathes" (learned those words on your forum too) have grown to about an inch diameter.

Based on what I've read here, this is probably the hard neck variety but I haven't a clue beyond that. Our son has already used some of the cloves. He says it is potent and delicious. Far superior to any store-bought he has ever found.

The way the patch has spread over a fairly large area I assume it is propagating both from the heads and the spathes. Some of the smaller plants are as much as fifty feet from the larger, and I assume original patch.

Comments (8)