SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dciolek

HELP! How to store garlic left in ground too long...

dciolek
12 years ago

This is my first year at trying garlic, and it was a fun time! Had lot of fresh scapes and let one develop a bulbil to see how that seeded -- all in all, I think I'm hooked.

But...

I'm pretty sure I left these guys in the ground too long. I had several of them break off the stalk as I pulled them up -- and honestly, the wrappers don't look very good on many of them. The stalks were completely brown top to bottom and the outer leaves tended to slide off as I tried to pull them.

The cloves are beautiful though, large, well-formed, not soft at all and quite tasty. I just can't eat 500 cloves of garlic before they go bad.

But if you have this much harvest that was left a little too long (I think), wanting some to keep for next years planting, is there anything you can do?

A few pictures attached show the larger bulbs on the right for replanting next year that stayed intact and had at least some kind of skin (although I don't think its very good -- at least not as good as the skin on the bulbs I pulled early for fresh use along the way). I grouped them together without taking them off the stalk and they are hanging in a dry unconditioned garage (hot weather) to dry out before storing. There are two hardneck types -- German White and Leningrad.

Can I store them like this all tied together or do they need more air circulation? Should I be moving these to my basement (dry finished area and conditioned - so not moist/moldy) for drying curing instead of in the garage that is in the heat/temp changes? Does it need some time in the heat to dry once you pick them and then move to the cooler areas?

The other bunch in the same picture is the smaller garlic bulbs hanging in the same fashion. These will be for eating. I did not wash the dirt off either of them not wanting to add moisture at this point. Again -- too close together? Should it go in the cooler inside conditioned temps instead of hot garage?

The other picture is of the bulbs that broke up and about a half dozen I started prepping a different way for storage (cutting off stalks and roots) and changed my mind. Way too much to use quickly enough for fresh only at my typical rate. Is mincing and storing in oil in the fridge a good idea? Keeping cloves intact and putting in oil? Mincing and freezing?

Just wanted a few good ideas to store a bumper crop. I am dying because these are the largest garlic cloves I have ever seen (only had store bought "regular" garlic before) and they are so firm and great tasting -- absolutely no comparison to their store bought counterparts. If I spoiled these by storing the wrong way, I'd have a hard time forgiving myself...

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!