SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jimigunne98

Very large ash tree is dying...advice?

jimigunne98
11 years ago

Its very old, around 50 ft. tall. Its the centerpiece of the property, so it would be a disaster if it dies.I am in S. Texas. We are having severe drought. Its really been on-going for several years. In the past it has been attacked by leaf cutter ants that almost stripped all the leaves, but it recovered...but never became as lush back in the spring as it should be. This summer I have not seen it attacked by leaf cutters, but all the foiage died off and now there are only a very few green shoots coming in on one or two of the branches...and there are probably not over a dozen mature leaves on it. I have been diligent to water it using a garden hose root-feeder, trying to get it to come back. I also crumbled a few tree food stakes and fed that, as well as pounding some of those tree food stakes into the ground underneath it. Its pure guess-work as to how much water the roots are getting. For all I know it could be getting too much water...who knows?

We are on well water irrigation here, and it is hard water, and salt content is pretty high. Can't do anything about that! Any ideas what I can do to save the tree, or better way to feed the roots?

Comments (6)