SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

First Spring bloom starting in No Cal garden!

jacqueline9CA
14 years ago

Most of my roses are resting, except a few teas that have some scattered bloom (sad looking because of the rain). HOWEVER, starting about a week ago, the very top part of a 3 story high banksie lutea that is climbing up the South side of our house has burst into its first Spring bloom! The area that is blooming is protected under the eaves of the house, and gets full sun (when there is any). I knew this rose was my earliest bloomer, but I cannot remember it starting in December before! When it reaches full bloom (usually in Feb, but we will have to see..) it is amazing - 3 stories tall and about 20 feet wide, it gets solid with tiny pale yellow flowers.

The hybrid gigantica Belle Portugaise is right next to it, and usually blooms around the same time - a pale pink that is the same tone as the pale yellow - they look great together.

The funny part is, I haven't yet started my winter pruning yet! Of course, we pruned the banksie and Belle last summer when they had finished blooming, but the rest of my 100+roses really need to be pruned in the next 2 months, including the never-stopping teas - I hate pruning off buds! I have also volunteered to prune all of the roses at my mother-in-laws house, so I was really sort of dreading all of that work, but the sight of the happy little yellow blooms bursting out on the banksie has cheered me up immensely!

Jackie

Comments (5)