SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pyralis42

Chicks & Hens Help

succulentlover
17 years ago

Hello Everyone :)

I moved into my first house about 2 years ago. The first year I got some C&H's and planted them in the soil. I found that although they seemed to do well in the summer, come the fall the heavy winds blew them out of the ground. This year I decided to try something different, so I dug up my small alpine area and mixed the soil with some broken pumice and sand. I was told that the pumice would help with drainage and the sand would help hold the roots in the ground when it was wet.

They did great during the summer, even better then the year before. But this year it seems that a lot of them are dying. We had a lot of rain in the fall and the leaves came down much sooner and faster then normal. So I was thinking that maybe the combo of leaf cover and rain could have done this. I've gotten the majority of leaves out, but the small stuff left is hard to blow out because the C&H's tend to blow out with them.

Should I use a different soil mixture? Should I used mainly rocks and if so, what size is best? I keep reading how these plants will grow inbetween rocks. I do have some other plants as well in the same area like Ice Plants and other Alpines (I forgot their names).

There are a few pictures below, before and after, of two of the biggest C&H I had. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance

Ross

{{gwi:369749}}

{{gwi:369750}}

{{gwi:369751}}

{{gwi:369752}}

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting