SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cheerpeople

community project.. ideas requested- rock gardens

cheerpeople
17 years ago

I am giving a presentation to my garden group in a month. HELP!

I'm going to present why they should consider planting 4 large cement planters with rock garden plants.

The planters are 3 ft deep and 4 feet wide with rock garden plants. The planters are in a public garden and have previously been doted over with annuals by someone else. That someone else has moved away.

My group has decided this should now be our group donation to the community. Funds for plant purchases have been donated.

I'm not really thrilled with it but I think I could at least suggest something with less maintenance than annuals. The garden group members are all grandmothers who don't like working in the sun. I don't think they realize how much work this could be.

I have ordered a few library books as I know little about rock gardens. I could certainly use your expertise.

Let me describe the site and you can suggest the easy keepers I should encourage them to plant. THX

It's a full sun spot in town in NW IL zone 5a. We get 20 to 40 inches rain/yr.

It really varies that much! Yes, windy and no, I don't think there will be place to get water closeby. The planters are positioned far enough apart that they do not have to match. So it would be possible to do different varieties in ea. like acid lovers in one with the appropriate soil mix.

We have been asked to not use anything growing over 12-18" tall in these planters. So forget your basic planter design with a spike, thriller and spiller.

Although a thriller and spiller would be cool!

Karen

Comments (2)

Sponsored