SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

Rain, Rain, Rain!

jacqueline9CA
11 years ago

I am in heaven - it has rained over 4 inches here in the last 3 weeks (first rain since last April), and my garden is so happy! It was supposed to rain starting late this evening, but I woke up this morning to it pouring! Yay! This is normal for us, but each time it happens it seems I am surprised. Last year it hardly rained at all until late Jan/Feb, and it was awful. Most people would not complain about a bright, sunny Winter with temps in the 50s - 70s, but I sure did!

We do get a couple of days without rain in between storms, and I have been going into the garden to weed - but only where I can reach stuff while staying on the patio or driveway or sidewalk - the beds are much too wet. The weeds just come up like they were in butter - it is wonderful. I even got ambitious the other day and attacked a huge tangle of Buff Beauty, Cl Iceberg, and some giant climber I don't know the name of that is growing on our fence. They had all decided to intermingle, which looked great last Spring, but now they were in danger of pulling down the old fence (one of them had leaped over it and was planning on eating my neighbor's garage), and there was dead growth I couldn't get at because of the tangle. So, now they look bare and separate. I fed and mulched them, and in our climate I'll bet they start setting buds again in a couple of weeks.

I love this time of year - in our climate it is sort of like Spring - the rains come back, and everything starts growing and blooming. My narcissus are up and starting to bloom.

Jackie

Comments (6)