SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kywoodswoman

Garlic Storage

woodswoman
10 years ago

Hi!
I have been a member here for quite awhile but haven't posted. (maybe once...several yrs ago). I always find answers here.
This is my 3rd yr growing garlic. I have had luck storing it in a dark, air conditioned room. I clean it, trim roots, cut stems, peel off outer wrappers. Most of what I have is cured. I need to finish up though.
I have a buyer for pretty much all of my garlic. He's a chef in a dining club. I think my pricing for the area is ok. He's willing to pay asking price. (THAT was a hard one. Nobody really produces garlic in the area so trying to compare was difficult) I told him I would take a dollar off per pound if I just cut the leaves off and that's it. He would have to deal with the roots, dirty wrappers. He liked the idea. I liked the idea of not having to peel wrappers, the time consumption to do it all.
My question is this: Did I speak too soon about that? Will garlic keep well if leaves and roots are left on for months? I got to thinking about it and also thought about the storage issue. That's a lot of dry material to bring into the house. What about just leaving the roots on? I really would like some opinions soon, as I am just getting prepared to cut the garlic down from the rafters and go thru the motions.
Thanks for any/all help!

This post was edited by woodswoman on Tue, Jul 23, 13 at 9:06

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Miller Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
Franklin County's Trusted Custom Cabinetry Solutions