SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tiffy_z5_6_can

Bonus! Mini-blind time!!

tiffy_z5_6_can
14 years ago

For those of you looking for plant tags, check out your neighbourhood on G-Day (garbage day). Great time of year to find mini blinds as people are doing some spring cleaning and such. I find this to be the time of year when people are replacing them or doing away with them altogether.

Found 6 sets of them just yesterday on my way to work and could have picked-up even more.

Comments (14)

• momstar
    14 years ago

Great idea tiffy. I actually embarrassed my hubby by going in to the local Home Depot and asking to pick through their garbage in the blind section. They custom cut miniblinds and the "ends" (the part they cut off) are thrown in a waste basket. I got about 300 "plant tags" cut the perfect length for my seedlings. When the lady asked my husband what I wanted them for he explained I was labeling seeds/plants. All of a sudden her expression went from one of suspicious confusion to one of enlightened jealousy. She said she was going to scoop up the next bunch for herself. We should start a thread on dumpster diving and the good finds people have had. I still need long blinds to mark off my square foot garden. I may have to take a late night walk on garbage night to see if anyone has thrown out a treasure.

• tiffy_z5_6_can
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I was having trouble finding them all winter long but there's no lack of them now.

I'm snuffing some moss and weeds in an area right now with newspapers from work. Just collected the ones we don't sell and it's working great. Topping them with shredded leaves collected from neighbourhoods last fall from people who would rather pay an arm and a leg for new mulch each spring. :O)

• judy65-gardener
    14 years ago

I love dumpster diving, actually trash picking. I cruise the allies when I need stuff I've gotten a 3 drawer tower cleaned it up and sat on my counter by my seeds to store garden magazines, lables and all kinds of stuff that was stacking up for my garden, I've also gotten lots of bottles for WS. People throw away some really good junk that someone else could use, no shame in it you're saving the landfills

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    14 years ago

I went to Lowe's planning to ask for the ends like momstar, but saw that I could just pick up a pack for about $3.00 so that's what I did. I know it's cheating, but I need them and I get up too late to beat the trash collectors (I work at night).

Caryl

• karendee
    14 years ago

If you want to buy blinds also try goodwill or similar places. I saw a set for $2 once and it was a big blind. I did not buy but thought about it.

I also think the trash at lowes is great. I used to ask for the christmas tree trimmings every year and made some nice decorations for the house.

I like the idea of a trash to treasure like thread....

Karen

• caryltoo Z7/SE PA
    14 years ago

Hi Karen,

Isn't there a garden junk forum that's dedicated to the trash to treasure idea? I've never checked it out.

BTW, whoever thought up the miniblind thing is ingenius. They work so perfectly.

Caryl

• pippi21
    14 years ago

I found a brand new mini-blind at a thrift store for only $3..Great idea about the scraps from HD and Lowe's. Ask the dept. manager, or Store mgr. Take along a clear ziplock bag to get them out of trash.

• irisheyes66
    14 years ago

I am a caretaker for the mentally disabled...one of our guys has a tendency to be very rough on his window coverings (he yanks the blinds/shades/curtains until they fall off the frame), which means a constant supply of free plant markers for me (and new window fashions for him!) I'll second caryltoo's remark--I've tried just about everything out there, but always return to cut-up mini blinds. They are just so ideal: cheap (or better yet, free!), easy to find, can be sized to fit any area or container...love love love them!

On a related note, this is our local "heavy pick-up" week for the trash...I live in a tiny farming town in Kansas, so people tend to throw out the oddest things. Much to my daughter's chagrin, I've already been out and about, making the rounds and scoring treasures. Old washtubs that make cool planters, a strange-looking table that will be a great workspace for WS, a 6 ft. high metal pyramid-shaped thingamajig/frame that will be perfect for either sweet pea or morning glory...even a "gently used" wheelbarrow. My daughter said, "Mom, please--it's JUNK!" I say, it has a missing rubber handle grip, big deal!

I love the idea of "reduce, reuse, recycle", and I think it's wonderful so many of us are like-minded in that regard.

• molly_and_me
    14 years ago

How do you label the mini blinds? Permanent marker?

• greylady_gardener
    14 years ago

molly and me, just use plain old pencil. It really stands up. Just use an eraser to remove the writing when you want to reuse the marker for another plant. I just did that last night and it takes a bit to completely erase the pencil.

• di-hgse
    14 years ago

Hi I'm di a newbie here,
    I stopped by because of the subject Min-blinds
    I love my min-blind, but i miss the old metal ones.
    I also use a pencil on the new ones and i don't save them like i did metals ones. What i really like to know is how do you use them for square gardening? We use to do a lot of dumpster dive, auctions, garage sales and we just don't have anymore room. Now we just go to goodwill on senior day and SA on 1/2 off day.
    Sounds like I would fix right in here.
    di

• ontnative
    14 years ago

I prefer the metal blinds (picked up from thrift stores, garage sales, etc.) and label them with a Sharpie marker or Brother labelling tape. They're not perfect, but they last fairly well for me. I use these markers for my perennials in the garden. I got the idea of the Brother tape labels from the daylily forum.

• northforker
    14 years ago

ontnative - please tell me more about using brother labels....
    I have a ptouch and the labels do come out laminated, but will they stand up outside? Or do you have to have "special" ptouch tape or machine?

I would not use it for my seedlings (the tape is too expensive and mini-blind/paint pen work just fine) but the hubby got me some fancy copper plant tags for xmas to place on perennials that people are always asking "whats this?" in the garden and I thought I might use the labels there if they hold up to the elements.

• Edie
    14 years ago

I've been re-using my T-labels for a couple of years now, but I need more labels so I'm on the lookout for mini-blinds. Bon Ami or Barkeeper's Friend on a damp sponge will remove pencil or felt pen from plastic T-labels, so it should work on the mini-blinds. Thanks for the tip about asking for trimmings at the big-box stores.

I live in a very eco-conscious city, and people downtown routinely put out giveaway piles on the grass strip between sidewalk and street. Sometimes they add a big "FREE" sign, to make it really obvious. I've learned that the best time to look for goodies is on sunny weekends. Among other things, I've acquired a stack of plastic 4" pots, a glazed ceramic planter, a finished-wood futon frame, and a bag of freshly dug iris divisions. My awesome iris-growing neighbor put out several labeled bags, one color per bag, and provided handwritten planting instructions. I intend to put outdoor cushions on the futon and use it as a porch seat. My boyfriend says I'll be known as the neighborhood crazy lady because I also raid my neighbors' recycling bins to get wintersowing containers. I don't care, as long as I'm the crazy lady with an awesome garden. :-) Hey, we're supposed to reuse *before* we recycle.

If you are not so blessed with neighbors who put out re-useables, or even if you are, check to see if there is a Freecycle or Plantcycle group in your area.

Sponsored