SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alameda_gw

Question About Lasagna Gardening

I am trying to conquor a fair sized bed in back of my horse barn to grow roses. It is L shaped, wide and long [dont know dimensions] but has good basic soil that I had hauled in when the barn was built. Problem is, though I have planted a few roses, have some growing on arbors, most of the area has not been planted. Every year, I run out of time to fight the weeds. They are dying off now.....but I have many of these difficult to pull out woody stemmed weeds. Round Up zaps them........but hasnt killed them out. Here is my question. I have lots and lots of feed sacks [brown paper, no color ink, just black ink] and lots and lots of horse compost. I was considering pulling out the tall weeds then covering the ground with layers of wet feed sacks, then covering these with the shavings/compost from the stalls. I would do an area at a time, not try to tackle the whole thing at once, but do it properly. Would the heavy layers of sacks and compost smother these weeds? Would the sacks be good for the soil once they disintegrate? I am tired of fighting this battle yearly and losing and want to get a handle on this big bed once and for all, so I can enjoy planting my roses next spring. Thanks for any advice, suggestions.

Judith

Comments (12)