SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lsst_gw

Quercus Virginiana or what?????

lsst
13 years ago

I purchased two trees eight months apart labeled Quercus Virginiana.I bought the trees in 2008.

I had wanted these trees for a long time and did my research.. The nursery I bought them from is reputable and both trees are from the same grower in Louisiana. I do not remember the name of the grower.

The trees are not the same. One grows more like a sand or shrub live oak. It is fast growing but its leaves are small and the branches grow almost straight down.

It is semi-evergreen and grows new leaves about two weeks earlier in the spring than the other one. Its largest leaf is two inches long by barely 1/2 inch wide.

The other oak has notched leaves and reminds me of an Ilex holly leaf. Its older leaves lose most of the notches and grow quite large. Its new growth is amber colored.It is not growing as fast as the other oak.Its largest leaf is large at over 3 -4 inches long by at least 1 and a 1/4 inch wide

I read that some growers group all sub species of live oaks under Quesrcus Virginiana. What oaks do I have and what can I expect from their growth?

Thanks in advance.

Here are pics:

Oak 1 that I think is a sand or shrub oak but it does not have overly cupped leaves.

{{gwi:423614}}

Oak 1 bark

{{gwi:423617}}

Oak 1 leaves

{{gwi:423619}}

Oak 2 tree

{{gwi:423621}}

Oak 2 bark

{{gwi:423622}}

Oak 2 new growth

{{gwi:423623}}

Oak 2 large leaves