SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
woodstockfenceguy

Winter protection for climbers in zone 5

12 years ago

I planted (6) climbing roses along a fence in the spring. They averaged about 2' of growth each. I planted Joseph's Coat, Blaze, golden showers, peace, and don juan. After reading forums here about climbers in zone 5, I now realize that there are 'cane hardy' verieties that I could not get locally, and will try next year. I put in these verieties because I got them cheap from mail order catalogs and also a few from Wal Mart.

Anyway, the same thing is happening this year that happened last year when the climbing roses died over the winter. They grew fine, but now we have had a couple of freezes, and they appear to be not going dormant as most of my other plants are. It appears to me the climbing roses are still trying to grow into winter and not loosing the leaves as they should be at this time. Can anyone help explain this?

I planted bud unions even with ground, and I see on forums that I should have gone deeper, but I went by rose package instructions when I planted them. As far as I know, these canes will not survive here exposed in zone 5 winter. I want to put sawdust as a mulch around the base 10" deep to protect bud union and roots, but I dont want to go through the hassle of trying to bury the canes.

I have read that this method will likely protect the bushes from winter coldness, but most people talk about cutting away dead canes in the spring, down to where they are not dead. I think it may be better to cut canes down to 10" now to prevent damage to the canes which may possibly shock and kill the bud union and roots also. Does anyone have any insight on this? Mostly I have read to spring prune them, but I think if I prune them heavily now, they may be stronger in the spring. If roots are not damaged, all I will need is a few good buds in the spring, and they should grow up at least 6' tall next season.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths