SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosefolly_gw

Trying to decide how to protect from gophers

rosefolly
13 years ago

I'm getting read to plant several big climbers in the middle of gopher territory. I have two options. One is to plant in tree sized gopher cages, and the other is to plant the roses in 15 gallon nursery squats in the ground with lots of drainage holes, a la Jeri Jennings.

The advantage of the cages is that the roses will have unlimited room to expand their root mass outside the cages, though they could be somewhat root pruned as gophers come across a root outside the caged area. The disadvantage is that the cages rust away after a few years, and then the roses have no protection at all.

The advantage of the cages is that they will hold up somewhat longer in the soil than the metal will, so will offer protection longer. The disadvantage is that the roots will be mostly confined inside the pots, not such a disadvantage for a shrub, but a consideration on a large climber. I imagine a few roots will get out through the half inch drainage holes I plan to drill. I suppose I could put in more than the two dozen I drilled for each pot for my blueberry bushes.

Any opinions on which is the superior path to take? The pots cost slightly more than the cages, but not significantly more.

Would it make a difference if I used 20 gallon nursery squats? I have not found a source for them yet, and no doubt it would increase the cost, but I'd consider it if it would be the best option.

I live in the foothills exposed to open country that is zoned against any development. No matter how much trapping we may do, there will always be an endless supply of gophers.

Rosefolly

Comments (11)