SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sherry_roma

California, eat your heart out!!

sherryocala
13 years ago

Just kidding! But I am so proud to be a Floridian rose gardener tonight after having the extreme privilege of walking through a magnificent private 8-acre garden in Brooksville, Florida, masterfully planted and tended by Carol Green who also happens to be the editor of the Marion County Rose Society newsletter. (Btw, she does a great job at that, too.) Here is Carol's invitation.

Having 8.3 acres on which to grow the Queen of

Flowers is both a blessing and a curse. Green Acres

boasts over 900 roses! The focus here is on the use of

roses in the landscape. There are collections of

singles, polyanthas, hybrid teas, floribundas, shrubs,

miniatures, minifloras and over 100 varieties of OGR's.

There is great use of garden ornamentation and

clipped hedges, as well as plenty of places to relax

and enjoy the views. Food and drinks will be provided

for everyone and guests are welcome to bring along a

blanket and take a break under the trees, or enjoy one

of the countless benches and tables scattered

throughout the property. Come join us in a walk

through the garden and don't forget your camera. You

may want a photo sitting on Delilah the dinosaur or

Arnold the pig!

It was all so breathtaking in scope and beauty. My friend, Judy, and I would have happily gone around again but after three and a half hours our legs were about give out, but a more exhilarating yet peaceful day we could not have dreamed. The slideshow link offers about 200 hundred photos, but I wish you could have been there. I daresay that Carol's meticulous care and stunning design is not seen in but a few other places in the world. I think at the end you will have to agree with me. For the record Carol has help - two boys work three hours each twice a week. Also for the record Carol puts in many, many 10-hour days in the Florida sun pruning, mulching, deadheading, etc. And she's such a little thing! Enjoy!!

Sherry

P.S. When you see her home, I'm sure you won't be surprised to know that it was designed by a student of Frank Lloyd Wright. Oh, and lunch was fit for a king!

(If you click "Reverse Order", you'll start at the beginning which makes some of the titles clearer.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Green Acres slideshow

Comments (23)