SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greyandamy

Edith Bogue Magnolia

greyandamy
11 years ago

IT seems there's been a few magnolia posts lately. I had planted an Edith Bogue in spring and she's doing too well, considering some issues at first with my planting techniques. My goal was to get her wind protected for winter, though I read she's one of the most hardy for this area (everyone has slightly different ideas). Of course, the man at nursery claims to have one in completely exposed windy area that's fine. (He too seems to have everything else, I'm beginning to wonder..).

I do have her staked as I read to do that do to fleshy roots (And learned in spring the hard way that not sufficient staking meant she was ripped out in wind storm)..I don't know if I should stake just near the base (to keep her in the ground) or up higher too as her branches are getting higher, she's maybe 6 feet tall by getting closer to 2.5-3 feet wide now.. growing fast.

She has wind protection from West and some east, Not a whole lot yet from a wind tunnel from North. I intended to plant some TREE on North until I say the soil is 6" of topsoil, max, then layers of rock and clay every color from red to purple. Will I need to protect somehow this year, even like with a snow fence type thing? I know she's known not to suffer much winter burn, and I don't care if she defoliates a little (or all), as long as she lives. Expensive tree. Anyone plant this tree in a similar zone (6a)? How sheltered?

Thanks for any comments

Amy

Comment (1)