SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ymaddox

here's what I am doing, what do you think?

ymaddox
12 years ago

okay i am getting my deck ready for spring and i decided to go ahead and plant seeds in some planters.... some small some large and all in between. I done it just like i was wintersowing, but put a walmart bag over, cut the sides and tied tight and then put a large rubber band under the rim and poked holes in the top of the bag.

What do you think, will this work?

Comments (7)

• ohsillyme
    12 years ago

Yep, did it last year,,,or was it the year before?
    Waiting on a wee bit of warmer weather and I will be doing the same soon enough!

• ymaddox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

did you plant petunia's by chance? and if so how did they do as far as growing and blooming well for ya?

• ladyrose65
    12 years ago

I like the idea. My Sis-in-Law, wants me to start her off with something. I will try this for her.

• ymaddox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

so the results thus far are good...it has been really warm here in the 80's today but i have things sprouting left and right in less than a week...i'm impressed!!!

• pixie_lou
    12 years ago

I'm happy to hear you've had some success. I plan on attempting the same with my patio containers this week. It just seems like it would be easier to plant a couple marigold, petunia and alyssum seeds in each planter than to sow in separate cups and then have to transplant. I'll also plant in seaparate cups for elsewhere in the gardens, and figure I can just transplant into my patio containers if I lack germination.

• pixie_lou
    11 years ago

I just wanted to report my results of my experiment.

I did containers for the front of my house with carpet of snow alyssum and white cosmos. Only the alyssum germinated. I put all my Cosmo seeds in these containers so it looks like I am going to have to buy white cosmos this year.

I did containers for my back patio with petite yellow marigold, cosmic orange cosmos, and royal carpet alyssum. Again only the alyssum germinated. The same marigold seeds that I sowed in separate cups germinated just fine. So I will transplant some of the marigolds into these patio containers. I've never seen the orange cosmos at the nursery, so I will have to look for something tall and yellow/orange to add to the containers.

On the bright side - I will not have to buy alyssum.

• northforker
    11 years ago

Alyssum - - the never fail plant!

I have to say I am not getting as much reseeding this year on my alyssum carpet of snow as I usual do. But I am not going to complain - - I've not had to add any seed/seedlings to some beds in 3 seasons. This plant just loves my garden and I love it.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!