SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dublinbay

Gold Medal had an accident--help!

dublinbay z6 (KS)
16 years ago

Really gusty winds out there--turned around and looked at Gold Medal--it was leaning precariously at a 45 degree angle. I quickly provided it with a secure prop so it could stand up straight.

When I checked at the base, it looks kinda like the 5 canes are all coming from one growth area, and that growth area is split off neatly (nice straight edge) from the graft union--but just partly split off. Yes, it appears to be the growth area immediately above (or coming out of) the graft union.

Some background: GM took a big hit last spring from the big Easter freeze. Had to prune it down to almost nothing--just a couple inches above the graft, if I remember correctly. It's been struggling all summer to get its normal growth back, but in the past couple weeks seemed to be doing fine--nearly 4 ft tall (it has never grown over 5 ft tall), has 3 nice blooms on it now, had 3 others last week, there is at least one more bud forming right now. Now that I've checked more closely, it appears that just one of those 2 inch nubbs survived the big Freeze, and all five canes (3 larger ones, 2 weak ones) are coming out of that nubb immediately above the graft union. That's the growth area that seems to be partially split off from the graft union.

I'd provide pics, but the batteries are dead on the camera.

Is there anything I can do? Propped in place can it somehow re-attach itself? Or since it is right above the graft union, should I prune it all off and hope next spring new canes form from the graft union? Or just plan on buying a new Gold Medal next spring?

GM has been growing 2 seasons in my garden, if that is pertinent.

Appreciate any advice. At the moment I'm just trying not to break down and cry.

Tearful Kate

Comments (7)