SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

Where do you plant your roses?

lavender_lass
14 years ago

Thank you all for the information in the previous posts :)

Now that you've convinced me that albas, gallicas, damasks, and other old fashioned roses (and rugosas) are going to be the perfect thing for my garden, where do you plant them? What I mean is, do you put them against the house, in islands around the yard, against the fence, all of the above?

Against the house has turned out to be a bad idea, since I just had to move my Fantin Latours I bought this spring, so we could have new energy efficient windows put in. Great for the heating bill, not so good for my roses :) They seem to be okay, but I'm hesitant to plant more against the house. Also a problem when we get a lot of snow, we sometimes have to "rake" the roof and all the snow will land on my roses (we got over 100" last year).

If I put them in the yard, I have to put deer resistant perennials around them, or blueberries, which the deer don't seem to like. I realize I may not have the best set up for roses, but I really want to try some. I just wondered where you all place your roses? Thank you for all the great advice so far!

Comments (14)