SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
barberberryfarm

Using ammonium nitrate or ammonium sulfate

barberberryfarm
12 years ago

This question is to farmers who grow organically. What is medically wrong with using ammonium nitrate or ammonium sulfate-based fertilizers when fertilizing my in-ground fruit trees and bushes? Specifically, do you know of any studies that have proven that these two chemically-based fertilizers are actually harmful to ones health to grow fruits and vegetables if administered properly? I understand about spraying chemically-based pesticides and fungicides, but I'm not sure about why the fertiliers are so bad. I'm not trying to be argumentative, but rather I just want to know as I'm trying to determine if I should switch to OMRI-certified fertilizers. For crops, I grow blackberries, blueberries, muscadine and a variety of fruit trees. In addition, I also grow a variety of vegetables in my outdoor hydroponic garden, which would probably be easier to switch to organic fertilizers than my established in-ground plants if there were some specific medical reasons why I should.

Again, I'm just trying to find out if it's worth the effort since most of my customers are happy that I am pesticide-free when it comes to growing my berries and grapes and use as little of the other "cides" as possible when growing my fruit trees and vegetables. By the way, does anyone know what OMRI-certified pesticide actually kills squash bugs and stink bugs? I know Neem Oil doesn't.

Comments (14)

Sponsored