SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alabamanicole

Last of the hummers

alabamanicole
11 years ago

Just a few weeks ago, there were hordes of hummers fighting over my feeders and sneaking in while the dominant hummer was chasing someone else away.

This past week or so there seem to be just a few left hanging around and instead of guarding from a nearby tree they just sit on the feeder when they aren't hunting, getting fatter and more tolerant (or lazy) about sharing. The one who "owns" the feeder out back right now looks like a barge and isn't flying very fast.

I'm sure it won't be long now before the last ones take off for the tropics. I'll miss their little chirps as they flirt around, and even the occasional buzzing and scolding for taking too long cleaning and refilling the feeders.

To my surprise, the luffa gourds I planted were a *huge* hit with the hummingbirds this fall. (And the bumble/carpenter bees.) If you like hummers, you might want to find a spot along a fence for some vines.

But the chickadees and titmice are back. I don't know where they go all summer, but their cheerful antics and hungry appetites for insects are welcome.

Comments (10)

Sponsored