SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zelenkabach

Tools for Cutting a small shrubby tree

zelenkabach
9 years ago

I have a young (5 year) river birch tree that has overgrown its spot and I wish to cut it down. I have called in tree experts and it has been revealed that because of its proximity to my neighbor's irrigation system, they can't use the truck mounted grinder to grind the stump.

So basically, all they can do is cut it to the ground. Since they can't grind the stump, which was the whole point of getting a tree expert, I think it is a waste of money to have them come cut this young tree. The tree has three different trunks and the are all pretty thin and well leafed out, until they converge together at soil level. Then I estimate the radius of all three trunks together to be about 18" at the widest part and the irregular circumference of all three trunks to be about 30" So I feel confident that I can cut away most of the upper parts of each tree with my pruning saw to get the bulk of the tree down because they are pretty much 2" - 5" in circumference, and it is like a big shrub and away from all power lines, buildings etc. Plus, each branch is so leafed out that it won't fall directly when cut, but will snag on leaves around it.

Leveling the spot where the three trunks converge, after I have cut away the bulk, will require some other equipment.

I saw an electric Homelight chain saw for $50, which I thought might be a good investment. I feel that if I just sit and hack away at this with my pruning saw, I can get the job done as well.

I would appreciate suggestions of tools that would be able to cut the three trunks at ground level and are worth the investment.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (8)

Sponsored