SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
crlitberg

Update on my neglected rose bed

CaraRose
12 years ago

I posted a few weeks back asking for some tips on a neglected rose bed I wanted to try and get under control again.

Well, after a few weekends of work, I have managed to tame the wild mess of thorns and weeds into a neatly managed bed. We have a series of small bushes and two large cl. Cecile Brunners (what my dad always called "popcorn roses"). I think the "long stems" are gone. I'm not sure if the smaller ones then are remanants of rootstock or somehow spread from the cecile brunners.

I know they're cecile brunners now, cause as I was breaking the soil up I noticed a small metal disk buried in the dirt. Picked it up, wiped the dirt, and found the original plant tag from the roses... roses that we think were planted in the 1950's, if not earlier!

{{gwi:333459}}

Here's a shot of what I was dealing with:

{{gwi:333460}}

Here's how it looks after I've dug it out, weeded, untangled, and trellised them to the garage:

{{gwi:333461}}

{{gwi:333462}}

{{gwi:333463}}

Both of the large Cecile Brunners appear to me to be on root grafts. I found some pieces of old rotted out root grafts in a few places when digging out the bed. If they're on a root graft then are the smaller bushes are likely rootstock from the dead 'longstems' rather than spread from the CBs?

Few more shots, this is the base of the largest bush. I pruned out a ton of old dead canes out of this.

{{gwi:333465}}

Is this an old, rotted root graft?

{{gwi:333467}}

The smaller of the big Cecile Brunners and what I believe is its root graft?

{{gwi:333469}}

I only had wrist length gloves. I think I should invest in some gauntlets!

{{gwi:333470}}

Comments (5)