SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pat_bamaz7

OT - What kind of people poison dogs

pat_bamaz7
10 years ago

I received the dreaded call from my vet this morning that my son's 110 pound, 3 1/2 year old beloved lab didn't make it through the night. I'm working from home today waiting for my son, who works nights, to wake up so I can deliver the bad news. We knew yesterday morning when we rushed him to the vet that it wasn't good, but I will never forget the look on my son's face when the vet told him he felt Colt had been deliberately poisoned and chances weren't good for his survival. All our four dogs have enclosures, but had been allowed to roam our farm freely when we were outside until a couple of months ago. In August, we added a new zone to our cats' invisible fence for the lab as he was starting to venture farther than our property when not inside or in his pen and needed more room than his fenced area or the cats' invisible fence area encompassed. He uncharacteristically escaped the invisible fence this weekend for a short time. Soon after he returned, he began vomiting, but we weren't too concerned at first...the dog will eat anything and frequently gets sick from it. As Colt got progressively worse and became very lethargic, it was apparent something more serious was going on. So a big, young, energetic dog went from full of life to liver and kidney failure in less than 48 hours because someone chose to end his life in a very cruel way. Who does that? Evidently, more people than I care to think about. My sister lives a few hours away in Tennessee. Her dog was killed earlier this year from anti-freeze poisoning, as well. I never have and never will understand people who are cruel to animals. Sorry for the venting, but I�m just so incredibly sad.

RIP Colt

This summer:

{{gwi:332984}}

As a pup swimming in our pool...his very favorite thing to do:

{{gwi:332987}}

"Helping" me garden...another of his favorite pastimes:

{{gwi:332989}}

And loving on my daughter...he was such a sweetie:

{{gwi:332990}}

Comments (26)