SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tedevore

Wax Myrtle story

tedevore
12 years ago

I had a few trees taken out of my back yard last year, and because I was interested in a smallish tree that was could be evergreen and provide food for the birds, I decided I would try planting a couple of wax myrtles. (myrica cerifera). Never grown them before.

I read on several websites from extension services and botanical gardens that this plant is diecious, meaning the plant is either male or female flowers, and if you really want berries, you had best get both a male and female plant.

So in early spring I visited several nurseries, many of which had wax myrtle

(advertising the berries on their tags.) When I asked if there was any way I could get a male and female plant, they looked at me like I was crazy. The wax myrtles they had were not in flower yet (and its not supposed so be easy to tell the male vs. female flowers), but the nursery people at three different places would tell me something, with attitude, like: "Ive been working here for 20 years, and I can assure you there are not separate male and female myrtles." They had heard of this for ginko trees, for example, but not wax myrtle. They were no help. Finally a nice guy who runs a native nursery around here (called mulberry woods nursery, which I had not heard of) suggested I ask Jason, the owner of petals from the past. Because sure enough, Jason buys from a native grower near Mobile that sells cultivars of wax myrtle, including a male he calls "Salty Dog" and a female he calls "Wolf Bay."

So the moral of this (long and perhaps boring) story is: you are better off buying from your nursery friends who really KNOW the plants, not just sell them, and be nice to them because they are few and far between.

Comments (5)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County