SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jim_w_ny

Advice for rose garden in Hollywood

jim_w_ny
13 years ago

I should have posted this here instead of on Roses.

"My younger daughter recently bought an old house there with a big back yard. I'm visiting along about December.... So she wants my advice on roses and Camellias( my former passion when I lived there).

So where are there big nurseries and/or rose gardens. The last time I was there the garden near USC was closed for the season. Yes I know about Descanso and that big camellia nursery near by. But what about roses.

One rose I've read about and can't have because of tenderness is Mermaid. Then I suppose others in that group would be Teas, Bourbons, etc.

So I would appreciate your help!"

Since that post I've been doing some research and have come with up some roses that might be good. What is your experience with them?

For Hollywood

Mutabalis

Duchess de Brabant

Old Blush

Silver Moon

Slater�s Crimson

Devoniensis

Fortune�s Double Yellow

Gloire de Dijon

Monsiieur Tillier

Sombreuil

Comments (21)

• daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hello Jim. I live in the Mediterranean which has a similar climate to Hollywood U.S.A.
    My garden is young but, of the roses you list, I have Duchess de Brabant.
    She is two years old, about four feet high, and about three and a half feet wide. She blooms most of the time, and has no diseases or problems at all.
    I have two Sombreuil. They are planted each side of an arbour. They have already reached right across the arbour in two years. They also bloom most of the time, and have no problems. Glorious perfume!
    Monsieur Tiller is a rose that we know in Europe as Archduc Joseph. Mine is already six feet high and wide in two years. Again it blooms most of the time. It's only problem, is that I have found that the blooms crisp in full sun. I moved it to where it is shaded in the afternoons, and it is a lot better.
    I have climbing Devoniensis, but it has only been planted a few months. It is at the foot of an apricot tree. It has grown about six feet so far but has not bloomed yet.
    Hope this helps.
    Daisy

• aimeekitty
    13 years ago

If she's looking for gardens, she should try Huntington Library Garden, also. It has a lot of lovely ones. She's already aware of Descanso.
    If she's able to up to the norCal area, San Jose Heritage Rose garden is pretty great, too.

There's another thread just near yours about Gloire De Dijon, you might want to look up what folks have to say about it there.

• Related Discussions

New to gardening, need advice on Rose bushes and Perennials

Q

Comments (1)
    You might want to post your questions in the rose forum. Here is a link that might be useful: Rose Forum
    ...See More

rose gardener in Italy wants to start growing clematis-advice?

Q

Comments (4)
    Late blooming clematis produce flowers on new growth so yes, climate could be a factor - if you have a very mild winter, growth starts earlier and flowers will appear earlier. And you would likely get the same results with a mild and early spring. Jackmanii is a particularly robust selection and always seems to start blooming early and over an extended period, one of the reasons it is so popular. I tend not to grow many of the early LFH's - I tend to prefer the species and the late blooming varieties - so I will let others make suggestions for ones you should consider :-)
    ...See More

1st Roses in the Garden - Need some DA advice

Q

Comments (20)
    In my no-spray garden the Austins get blackspot and defoliate. Olivia Rose Austin gets less blackspot than many others. It has a lovely medium fragrance like rosewater. Jubilee Celebration has strong sweet fragrance, beautiful pink and cream blend. Princess Alexandra of Kent is also very fragrant, large sumptuous blooms. Mortimer Sackler is highly fragrant with an Old Rose fragrance, one of the taller Austins, good repeat bloom with an elegant arching habit. The Generous Gardener is another tall Austin with lovely fragrance. Olivia Rose Austin Jubilee Celebration Princess Alexandra of Kent on left Munstead Wood Mortimer Sackler The Generous Gardener
    ...See More

Looking for Rose Expert for advice on my Rose Garden

Q

Comments (2)
    I am not familiar with rose experts/ rosarians doing house calls, especially right now... I have witnessed a lot of people getting very useful help by posting images of the issues their plants have, and seeking advice on this forum, especially from members who garden in So. CA.
    ...See More
  • jim_w_ny
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I was reading up on Mutabilis. Looking at the pictures they looked well sort of messy but some who have the rose describe it as very beautiful. Texas A&M in their Earth Kind program chose it as their rose of the year for warm climates.

If forms a 6x6' bush that blooms constantly with flowers that change color from yellow or peach to crimson. It is sometimes described as covered with butterfly's!

Sound great but is it??

• jannorcal
    13 years ago

I used to garden in the Los Angeles area, have been in northern CA for about 6 years now.
    I think that teas, noisettes and chinas are great choices for a garden in Hollywood. Bourbons and gallicas should be avoided as there is no winter chill and they don't do well.

Mutabilis is a great rose. Will get large in So Cal and may need to be pruned a bit if she has space limitations.

Fortune's Double Yellow, while gorgeous in bloom, is a very large rose and is a once bloomer. Unless she has a hillside or area she wants covered, I'd advise against FDY.
    The only rose on your list that I do not know personally is Silver Moon.
    The others I think would be good choices.
    Gloire de Dijon has a reputation for not doing well unless grafted, most people I know have shovel pruned their plant.
    M. Tillier is my favorite tea rose. Just planted one in my own garden.
    Other teas to consider would be Lady Hillingdon, Souvenir de Pierre Notting.

Where to purchase these is a great question. I'm not aware of any nursery left in So Cal who would have these roses in stock. Vintage Gardens does mail orders of bands. Chamblees may have some of them in one gallon pots.
    There is a nursery in Calabasas called Sperlings. Last time I was there they just had hybrid teas, no teas/chinas/noisettes that I can recall.
    It is a great nursery though if she is interested in other shrubs/trees/plants.

• harborrose_pnw
    13 years ago

Burling Leong, who was an associate of Ralph Moore's, is in Visalia and owns Burlington Roses. I've ordered from her and gotten a good product. She is very nice to talk to.

Mutabilis is a lovely thing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Burlington Roses

• lagomorphmom
    13 years ago

My plants are not old enough, either, Jim. But I do have many in pots to go in so I am familiar with some - most should do well but get BIG.

I have never heard a bad word associated with Mutabilis, in fact many say it is either their favorite or that they would never be without it. DdB should also do well. My Old Blush is through her 2nd summer and has just had a bunch of blooms, it seems to be a hardy little china up here in the SoCal mtns! In addition, it will be a great talking point when she shows folks around her garden to tell them that it is one of the four stud Chinas and first went to Sweden in 1752 on it's way entry into Europe.

As for where to get them, I don't believe that you can count on any walk-in nursery out here having any on your list. All of mine have come from mail order - as an economy, I have pretty much limited myself to west coast vendors because of the shipping (which isn't anybody's fault). I've gotten great roses from Vintage, EuroDesert and Rogue Valley Roses. I also plan to get a few from Burlington when I get to it, I have heard only wonderful and amazing things about her. Again, I've only ordered bands to keep shipping down, but some of these may have gallon pots if she wants to jump start. I also wouldn't hesitate to order them now, get them in a gallon pot and plant in late Jan. or Feb. or so. Usually we only get a frost down below in late Dec. and mine are fine even up here in the snow as it doesn't get THAT cold.

One thing, I know on the other thread that Jeri says she probably won't have to worry about mildew (and I would ordinarily never disagree with Jeri ;-) but I wouldn't be to sure about that. If it were me, knowing what I know now, I'd suggest getting mildew resistant varieties (you can search or ask here if you don't see it listed) until she has time to experiment with one or two that are not and see what happens. I would think that she'd appreciate getting roses in and establishing her landscape without having to start over. Rust is also an issue, but seasonal and not something I care about for the odd rose here or there, mildew on the other hand - well, I think we're global mildew central toward the coast. I'm so grateful to have found this forum so that I now have the option to have pretty bushes that I don't need to spray (even if I wanted to) or suffer when I don't.

Lastly, it sounds like she's got a lot of space? I'd for sure add Grandmother's Hat to her list and let it grow into a lovely upright shape rather than trim. It would be wonderful near a gate where you want something that you don't need to trim and not a lot of prickles. My other suggestion would be to try some of Cliff's stunning floribunda singles. I've only learned to appreciate them lately and put the following around the front entry here in the mountains: Daisy O, Rosarian Gregg Lowery, Night Sky, Salomi, & Stella. I also have Anne-Aymone Giscard d'Estaing in this group, but she did get some mildew before I brought her up. Other pretty ones are Mrs. Robinson, Dancing Pink, & Blue For You.

• jim_w_ny
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Great responses. Thanks all.

Another prospect that sounds interesting is the climbing form of Devoniensis. It has a many petalled OGR look, large flowers and blooms all the time. Strong fragrance. Big 16x6’ or thereabouts. Used to be available from Sequoia, Maybe Burlington does now. Also Rogue Valley and Vintage.

Now as to Silver Moon which I came across in the ARS Encyclopedia which I have worn out. (Because of the long name and my difficulty in spelling E I like to refer to it as QR after the author's the Quest Ritson's) Anyway SM gets a good recommendation for warm climates but is only once booming which doesn't bother me much here as the rose season is pretty short anyway but there it probably is another matter. So..... as an alternative how about Mme. Alfred Carriere, a rose I had when I lived in S. CA. (By the way I lived in West LA very near Century City.) Now Mme Alfred was very vigorous and bloomed all the time.
    Then it died of unknown causes!

e

• organic_tosca
    13 years ago

I had Devoniensis for a while, the bush form. It seems to take a few years to get going (or it may be that I didn't do right by it - it was my first old rose). I donated it to the Sacramento Historic Rose Garden, and it loves it there! That is a lovely Tea! Of your others, I have seen Mutabilis and Mons. Tillier in the SHRG - I adore Mons. Tillier! Big and fabulous. And I'm risking boos from the audience, but I really don't care for Mutabilis. I know everyone loves it, but I just don't. Can't really say why that is... Also, as Janelle mentioned, Lady Hillingdon is a wonderful rose.

• jim_w_ny
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm also not sold on Mutabilis as it looks rather messy in the pictures I've seen. Maybe it looks better in the "petal".

• aimeekitty
    13 years ago

I live in Socal, I order from Vintage, Antique Emporium, EuroDesert and Rogue Valley Roses... and sometimes Long Ago Roses and Roses Unlimited (even though it's across the country, they have good sizes and sometimes have things others don't).

There are, I think like 4-6 Mutabilis at Huntington, go see them. :) Think it's something you need to see. You have to like single roses to like Mutabilis. Also, the color can be from hot fuschia to pink to yellow. So you must like all those colors. I personally find the color combo a little too bright for me. So I went with Bermuda's Kathleen instead (looks a lot like Mutabilis, but it's slightly double and doesn't have yellow in the color mix)

When you're thinking about "messy" ... that makes me worry because, imho, MANY roses will hold onto their blooms after the rose has passed peak... So if you're concerned about a clean look, I would go see the top choices in person, a few different times to get a better idea of what the rose looks like through various parts of it's life.
    People SELDOM post photos of a rose except when it's at it's best and I remember being disappointed by some roses that seemed so gorgeous online, but rather underwhelming in person.
    Like everyone loves Lady Hillingdon, and it is pretty enough, but it just didn't really "do it for me".

• kstrong
    13 years ago

Grandmother's Hat was a great suggestion, Jim. Get that one for sure. And maybe one of its sports also. Those are great OGRs for beginner gardeners that take virtually no care here and bloom their little heads off practically all year. Mine's blooming now.

Once bloomers, on the other hand, are noticeably bare of flowers when other things are blooming for what seems like most of the year . . . I would skip them for the beginner rosarian in California. Once she gets some experience under her belt, she can choose one or two that really float her boat and make those one or two worthwhile to grow for the short bloom periods. But I wouldn't start out with once bloomers for her. It seems like an eternity between bloom cycles, even for me, and I knew what I was in for.

Kathy

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    13 years ago

Lady Hillingdon never did much for me, but Climbing Lady Hillingdon is in my opinion very beautiful. I have Mutabilis and love it but would stay away from it if you have any doubts, especially as it gets very large. Cl. Devoniensis is gorgeous, as is Lamarque and Sombreuil. Mme. Alred Carriere gets really huge, although the others aren't tiny either. Old Blush blooms a lot but also mildews for almost everyone, so I'd give that a pass for now. Mrs. Dudley Cross is a spectacular and completely thornless tea rose. The Bourbons actually do quite well in the heat and do not need much winter chill, contrary to what is sometimes believed. They can mildew, I believe, if you don't have dry heat. Souvenir de la Malmaison and its sports are small Bourbons with great rebloom and gorgeous flowers. Duchesse de Brabant is wonderful for me as is its sport, Mme. Joseph Schwartz, but then again I garden in dry heat. Since she's just starting out I'd avoid the once-bloomers since there are so many roses that bloom for most of the year in her zone.

Ingrid

• jim_w_ny
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes once bloomers are not the way to go in S.CA.

I couldn't find Grandmother's Hat in any of my rose books even under its' alternate name, Barbara Worl. I need to check it out in HMF.

She has seen roses that look like DA's and loves them. In my garden they have been a total flop. Maybe I'll just go with the flow and check them out at local nurseries. On the other hand as I have made such a big deal about my roses I suppose I need to live up to her opinion of me and get some really good OGR's. And for that matter some good moderns.

When I lived in W.LA we had a small grouping of three roses that I stopped to admire as I left for work. They were Angel Face, Ole and the third one I forget. AF is noted as a martyr to BS but it was fine for me. I loved the color and form of Ole. Most of my favorites here, Kordes roses are unlikely to do well there.

• kstrong
    13 years ago

Grandmother's Hat is currently available from Burlington Roses. She doesn't have her website working (still), but I can email you a list of her currently available varieties on an excel spreadsheet, or you can contact her directly and she will do that.

Now why would you say Kordes rose would not do well here? Beg to differ on that one. The ones that are good in the east seem to also be good here, as far as I can tell. Focusing on OGR-look roses, I grow a few Kordes roses that do quite beautifully here, among them,
    Cafe, Caramella, Dortmund, Pomponella and Rosanna. And probably the one rose that I am completely sick of seeing in every dang yard is also a Kordes rose: Iceberg.

If you love Kordes roses, stay with the ones you love. They'll do fine. I also have a whole bunch of Kordes modern roses that likewise do well, so Kordes is a fine choice for California.

Kathy

• jim_w_ny
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Is Grandmother's hat a local or regional favorite? Probably why I didn't find it. Maybe like another favorite here, Darlow's enigma. Also a rose that once discovered by the owner quickly becomes a favorite.

I have several Kordes roses that I can't grow here so maybe I should try them in S.CA. Magenta and Aschermittwach, come to mind and I'm sure there are others once I think about it. Robusta is a favorite one that does well here but might not there as it is a hybrid rugosa.

What fun to have two different climates to play in!

• kstrong
    13 years ago

Grandmother's Hat is a "study" name for a found rose that's been under "study" for 20 plus years. It may or may not be the same rose as Cornet as G'ma's Hat is said to be the same rose as was found in Sangerhausen under the Cornet label. But many labels at Sangerhausen are also mixed up, so no one really knows. But it is in commerce here and now as "Grandmother's Hat."

Aschermittwach does fine here. I grow that one too, but I didn't put it in my Kordes list 'cause it's a once bloomer, at least for me. One of the few I think worthwhile to grow, btw, the other being Mme. Plantier.

Rugosas can do okay here, but only if you temper the alkaline water by feeding them only cottonseed meal. It's a learning process . . .

• rosefolly
    13 years ago

Grandmother's Hat -- a truly excellent rose all over California -- may not do as well for you in New York. Members from the east coast have occasionally posted on the forum that it will black spot in a humid climate. Here it is pretty close to bulletproof, besides being both beautiful and fragrant. I have given rooted cuttings to non-rose-growers to use as a flowering shrub, with great success. It is that easy.

Rosefolly

• roseseek
    13 years ago

Jim, Grandmother's Hat is a splendid rose here in Southern California. I grow three of them here in Encino; I had two in my Newhall garden and there are two GHats and one Larry Daniels (lighter sport) in clients' gardens in the Santa Clarita Valley. It's a very versatile rose! It performs wonderfully kept pruned as a taller shrub and can easily be trained up over an arch or pergola as a friend in Old Orchard, Valencia, grows it. It flowers nearly year round here and is wonderfully fragrant. The new growth has a sweet pepper-cedar scent and the flowers are intensely sweetly fragrant. Many shoots can be entirely prickle free while others have scattered prickles. For me, there has never been any mildew and I've only seen black spot on new, young, un established plants. I love pruning it at home and in my clients' gardens because it scents my hands with its wonderful plant fragrance, just as Mutabilis does when I trim it back. Another you may enjoy here is Gloire des Rosomanes, the old Ragged Robin as it is very much like Grandmother's Hat in many respects. The flower is less double, not quite as large and a deeper red, but it carries the same wonderful plant and flower scent, and it is as shade tolerant at Grandmother's Hat.

Mutabilis, I guess, COULD be termed "messy", depending upon your definition of the word. If you're more in to tailored "rose gardens", you probably won't like it. But, if you like shrubs which flower incessantly, you'll love it. Nothing makes as beautiful a bank or shed cover as Mutabilis! It's a remarkable landscape shrub in these parts and it's (thankfully) becoming more well known and used. I found one gallon, own root plants of it for $10 at the Green Arrow in North Hills on Sepulveda last week while out searching for peat pellets to plant my rose seeds. The flower colors vary daily and also by temperature, light intensity and location, so in some places, they'll be more intense, while others will show them more pastel. It's a trait of the China rose color shift, just you see in roses like Double Delight, the variegated Teas and Joseph's Coat. Cooler temperatures and less intense light cause them to be paler. Increase the light and heat intensity and the colors saturate more completely. Mutabilis can be pruned with hedge clippers or simply trimmed to maintain it where you want it. The new foliage is a wonderful bronzy red with darker green mature foliage and it will literally flower twelve months of the year. I use it here between the house and the awful white vinyl fence the up hill neighbors installed when the huge pine fell and took out the old chain link. It's allowed to do its thing and fill the space, reducing the reflected light off that fence and it is gorgeous with Dalechampia tangled in it. Like Banksias, it is totally trouble free, here. I use both Mutabilis and Grandmother's Hat in my rose breeding efforts and love them both.

Scents, total plant as well as flower, are important to me. I honestly don't care for plants which don't provide me some sensual pleasures when not in flower. There has to be either scent, or enjoyable texture or beautiful foliage or plant architecture to it when not blooming or I don't want to use my resources on it. I will tolerate light infections of fungus on plants which, otherwise, give me what I seek. When the infections seriously detract from the enjoyment or weaken the plant, the shovel comes out. In my seedlings, I am far more ruthless.

You might also take a look at Comtesse du Cayla. She makes a large shrub, flowering all year and is one I'm using with Mutabilis for breeding. Polyanthas you and your daughter may enjoy are Pink Pet, White Pet, Lamarne, Verdun, Lauren, Sunshine, Werner von Blon, Lullaby and, particularly the bush form of Mlle Cecile Brunner and Perle d'Or. I honestly wouldn't grow Cl. Cecile Brunner unless you're trying to slip cover your garage. The bush or Spray Cecile are much more satisfying and will literally flower year round. J&P's Wild Dancer seems immune to any disease here (Santa Clarita Valley and Encino).

Louis Lens roses do rather well here, too. Walferdange, Bouquet Parfait, Jet Flame (NOT a "mini", just smaller flowers), Jacqueline Humery are gorgeous as is his Plaisanterie. Sean McCann's Smiling Jean has been absolutely trouble free here in Encino. You honestly should also investigate Secret Garden Musk Climber for scent (plant and flowers), perpetual bloom and ease of growth. Sally Holmes is nearly as ubiquitous as Iceberg here for the same reasons...perpetual flowering, bullet proof plant, sensual appeal. Just like Camrys and Accords, they just WORK. I grew an own root plant of it in Newhall for 18 years, keeping it pruned as a free standing, six foot shrub. It was enormous and looked like a huge, white Hydrangea on steroids. Friends used to tease that it looked like it found the septic tank! Linda Campbell is the only hybrid Rugosa which performs with as few problems as possible in my experience. There can be a bit of blackspot on young, un established plants, but she quickly out grows it (unless you live in the fog belt) and flowers year round in large, brilliant clusters. She really IS Ralph Moore's masterpiece. Even he thought so.

Lamarque is gorgeous here. I grow Mme Alfred Carriere at a client's home in Valencia and will replace it this year. There is just too much mildew and the prickles are too sharp and numerous for anything I have to be so up close and personal with. Unless the area is huge, so you can have the too large plant required to provide the flower quantity you desire, I would put her on the second or third choice list. Reve d'Or is gorgeous when established. Duchesse d'Auerstadt (again, once established) is gorgeous. Cl. Maman Cochet can't be beaten. Mons. Tillier, General Schablikine, Rosette Delizy are all beautiful flowers with decent plants under them. Unless budded, they will require a few seasons to strut their stuff, but patience will be rewarded. Souv. de Pierre Notting, William R. Smith and the bush of Maman Cochet are very nice. The first two were the most disease free Teas we ever grew at The Outdoor Room in Pacific Palisades, two blocks from the surf at Gladstone's.

Social Climber has proven itself to be a tremendous, smaller climber in the SCV and here in my experience. It flowers all the time and is very disease resistant in no spray gardens. It remains inbounds and flowers repeatedly, particularly if dead headed. I have it in a large pot on a client's patio, growing up in to her patio cover in Old Newhall and on iron fencing in Stevenson Ranch. At the beach, it was flawless as canned, staked plants.

Now for the "advertisement", if you want a climber which flowers all the time, is totally prickle free, highly scented and a true joy to work with, my Annie Laurie McDowell (available from Burlington Roses) is one I am very proud of. Like a number of roses, she will climb faster if started in a can of good potting soil and disbudded until she produces the root system and structure required to be the size of plant desired. Otherwise, she will spend a long time just blooming. Her foliage is the "peach tree type", resembling that of Kathleen and Grandmother's Hat. She flowers toward the cane ends, at many of the leaf axils like Hybrid Musks. The buds are plump and "fuzzy" and the flowers are very double, about the same color pink as Grandmother's Hat and very sweetly scented. This is a plant I gave a client in Old Orchard in Valencia. http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=21.148224 No, I receive nothing for sales of the plant other than the satisfaction and enjoyment of hearing others report of their pleasure growing it. Pruning her is a joy as she does NOT bite! I put her where she is deliberately as the homeowner likes to sit there, enjoying his evening cigar and tossing the ball for his enormous Golden Retriever. She is the garden lover; he loves her so the garden is tolerated. I explained to him what the rose was and why I placed it where it is...so he would be shaded from the hotter sun in the late afternoons, with fragrance and never any blood letting and now he loves the rose. Annie Laurie was a very dear friend, who, with her husband, introduced me to volunteering at The Huntington 25+ years ago.

You should also take a look at Portland from Glendora. I grew it for 18 years in the SCV and friends there still have it. A very nice "Portland" type flower. Jacques Cartier is one I use all the time to fill space, provide continuous flowers and fragrance. Comte de Chambord is another good one where there is warmth without nightly drenching of fog/dew.

If Mermaid is off your list, take a look at Golden Wings, and/or Little Mermaid. The former has large, Mermaid like flowers on a much smaller plant and flowers spring through fall. The other is the dwarf root sport of Mermaid, introduced by Sequoia. It's a MUCH better choice than Happenstance as it has none of the die back Happenstance is infamous for. It flowers all the time, also, and is diminutive in all respects, other than eventual plant size as it can make a large mass with time and little to no pruning.

Two "ramblers" which have done quite well for me are Paul Barden's Mel's Heritage and Purple Skyliner. I also have Perennial Blue, but it just doesn't flower here. Purple Skyliner flowered all summer last year, it's first year here. I love violet roses, so Blue For You came home and has pleased in every respect. Rhapsody in Blue is pretty, but shuts down in the heat. Blue For You also remains shorter and bushier, flowering all the time for me.

Because they were selected in a climate similar to what you're going to be growing roses in, I may also offer more of my own "offspring", Lynnie (named for my favorite Aunt); Too Cute and Little Butterfly. Not traditional HT types, for sure, but each has been reported very hardy, healthy and floriferous in a wide range of environments. I don't know if they're still there, but a few years ago, I sold plants of Mutabilis, various Salvias (including Madrensis) and three bushes of Little Butterfly to the garden designer who planted the area outside the Rose Window at St. Monica's Catholic Church in Santa Monica. She was to plant the Little Butterfly bushes under the Rose Window in the Church's new addition. One of these days, I have to get down there to take a look.

• roseseek
    13 years ago

Oops, sorry, Jim! I forgot several of the better ones, Marie Pavie, Papa Hemeray and Miss Lowe.

• User
    13 years ago

Well Hey, Jim, I have to second Kathy in her defence of Kordes roses and I am also pleased to hear Louis Lens' roses get a mention too - Jaqueline Humery really is a gorgeous rose. These roses are incredibly tough without looking coarse (although fragrance is often sacrificed for vigour). And thanks, Roseseek, for reminding me of the transcendent Golden Wings - I love singles and this is one of the best. I would also cast a vote for Plaisanterie (another Lens rose) too - more floriferous and manageable than mutabilis.

• roseseek
    13 years ago

Thanks, campanula. I've always loved Mr. Lens' roses. Quite an imaginative breeder, though more than a little too much Ballerina in his creations, which is necessary for his climate, but not great for ours.

Jim, if you want some thornless ones to put where they can be enjoyed "in your face", also take a look at Moore's Renae, Climbing Yellow Sweetheart, Softee (allowed to grow as large as it wants, always in flower and NO prickles ever!). Pink Gate is thought to be the Cecile Brunner seedling Kentfield. It is marvelous either hedge pruned or grown up an arbor or obelisk. Add them to Annie Laurie McDowell and you have fragrance, charm and never any blood loss! Pruning is really a pleasure with them.

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida