SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jumbojimmy

It's true... roses do not perform well after 1st year in pots

jumbojimmy
14 years ago

I admit that myroses do not perform well in pots after 1st year. :(

All my 1st year roses (Evelyn, Jayne Austin, Sidonie, Mayor of Casterbridge, The Alnwick rose, and Nahema) are blooming well and looking healthy.

However, my 2nd year / 3rd year potted roses (ie., Tea Clipper, and A Shropshire Lad) are not doing so well at all. There are no flowering buds in them and it's already SPRING!

I had pegged Tea Clipper in June (winter) hoping that it will flower more in Spring, but I was so disappointed there's no flowering buds! (Photo below) Why?

{{gwi:332015}}
Recently, I had moved to a different house with only afternoon sun . . . but I don't think

that's the main problem considering that all my 1st year roses are blooming nicely with lush green leaves.

I don't want to prune my roses because I want to keep them big and bushy. On the other hand if I don't prune them, they will look leggy and not fully covered with leaves just like the photo below:

'Summer song' and 'A shropshire Lad.'

{{gwi:332016}}
Why is it like this? I mean, I have seen some gorgeous photos of a rose that is HUGE and well covered with leaves. Mine just look kind of sad...

The ones that are doing well are:

'Evelyn' first year with me this year and doing so well - lovely, HUGE flowers with a scent that reminds me of Jude the Obscure:

{{gwi:332017}}
'Sidonie' another newbie this year, and filled with buds:

{{gwi:332019}}
{{gwi:332021}}
The rose that I really missed the most is Heritage. Just looking through my photo abulm, Heritage was quite beautiful but after 2nd year I got rid of it because it declined in health.

{{gwi:332022}}

Comments (15)