SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
amberroses

Enemies of the Florida Rose Grower

amberroses
9 years ago

1. Blackspot: I cannot emphasize how very humid it is here much of the year.

2. Chilli Thrips: Destroy all new growth and flowers. Very nasty things. They seem to attack only at the end of summer in my area. I spray spinosad to keep them from taking over.

3. Heat: It is so wet and hot in the summer that it is like wrapping a hot wet blanket around yourself. Roses hate the summer here. Some of them lose leaves just from the heat and enter a semi-dormant state.

4. Poor "soil": The soil where I live is pure sand. No organic matter. If I add organic matter it looks like dirty sand. Eventually the organic matter disappears into the sand. Sandy soil is also difficult to water properly because it drys quickly and water runs off the top of it.

5. Nematodes: Florida "soil" is filled with tiny worms called nematodes that eat roots. I haven't had much of a problem with this because the other enemies kill the roses first.

6. Fire Ants: The fire ants don't attack the roses, but they do attack the rose grower while she tends the roses.

Yes, it is challenging to grow roses here, but it is worth it. There are a few good things about growing roses in Florida

The Friends of the Florida Rose Grower:

1. Beautiful blooms in the dead of winter.
2. No Japanese Beetles
3. Very little Powdery Mildew or Rust
4. Lots of sunshine for growth
5. No concerns about winter hardiness

I'm sure every region has its own list of friends and enemies of rose growing.

Disclaimer: This is my personal opinion about my personal observations. I live in one particular place in Florida and not everywhere else.

Comments (27)