SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alwayzbgrateful

Is this really Chicago Peace Rose? ?

Alwayzbgrateful
10 years ago

Hello again, a neighbor has this rose on her front yard. She said she literally just bought it @ Lowes . But all the info I've seen on the net says its supposed to be a Hybrid Tea. Plus the flowers are rather small, more like a spray (if that makes sense) So basically my question is, did she get the correct rose? If not who is this rose? She bought two CP amd one Kordes Perfecta. I know nothing about the other, only that its what we typically see for sale at most Big stores.Anyway thank u to anyone who can help me, help my neighbor figure out what she just bought .Lol!
â¡âÂ¥â¡Lyna

Comments (31)

• Alwayzbgrateful
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The big one is Chicago Peace.The short one Kordes perfecta. Ar least thats what we think. ;-)

• Alwayzbgrateful
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Another pic

• Related Discussions

chicago peace

Q

Comments (23)
    My old Pink Peace and Candy Stripe were Week's bare roots I bought back in the mid 1980s. The "good old days", when there were nurseries all over the Los Angeles area who still sold them BARE in boxes of saw dust. Week's even produced Radiance budded and bare root in those days. Other than rust and an occasional bout of mildew, they were beautiful roses. If you like stripes, also take a look at Banner, the striped sport of Charlotte Armstrong. Like a huge striped Camellia with prickles and Charlotte's mildew. Modern Times is the striped sport of Better Times, a famous old florist rose out of Columbia. If you can find Red and White Glory or Candy Stick, they are identical to Modern Times. Columbia sported to Briarcliff, named for the greenhouses who introduced it. Briarcliff sported further to Better Times, named in hopes that the more marketable color would lead to better times. When Better Times sported to stripes, they named it in honor of Charlie Chaplin's movie, "Modern Times". Red and White Glory/Candy Stick also sported from Better Times, only decades later for J. Benjamin Williams. After growing both for many years side by side, it was obvious they are identical. Kim Here is a link that might be useful: Modern Times
    ...See More

Chicago Peace or Love and Peace?

Q

Comments (6)
    I posted a photo of Love and Peace on the photo gallery, I think your roses doesn't have enough petals to be Love and Peace Sonia
    ...See More

Chicago Peace, Tropicana, Paradise & More

Q

Comments (8)
    Beautiful photos LaBrea!!! Man, I gotta replace CHICAGO PEACE. I lost mine yrs ago, and I've been trying the last several yrs to replace it. But I'm a cheap-sucker, and don't wanna spend a lot of money on a plant that's usually so easy to find. So, like a dummy I buy the bagged bareroots, and every one of the so-called CP's end up being something else. Guess this time I better spend the extra moeny and get a good quality, real one! It's one of the best all-around roses out there.
    ...See More

Flaming Peace & Chicago Peace

Q

Comments (19)
    These are amazing pictures. I love the flaming peace and Chicago peace which I grow is one of my favorites. I can't get over how healthy and full your bushes are -- maybe I should really keep up with my spray schedule and mine might look like yours. Are yours grafted or own root? What type of spray schedule do you use? Jean's glowing peace is amazing too. Wow, what a healthy looking bush and covered in blooms. Looks like my chicago peace. Jean do you spray yours? Maureen
    ...See More
  • dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

It's a charming rose and I wouldn't mind having one myself, but I assure you, that is not Chicago Peace. CP has big, fat, overstuffed blooms--and I do mean big and full, lots and lots of petals, and while it sometimes sports pink and yellow shades, it usually has a number of other colors in there--gorgeous, but not "sweet" like this one.

I'm serious--whatever this one is, I wouldn't mind having one. I really like it, whatever it is.

Kate

• Alwayzbgrateful
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Well I just stopped by Lowes to see if maybe the tags somehow were switched but nope they had loads of supposedly CP All look like the one my neighbors plant. What in the world??

• nastarana
    10 years ago

Is it 'Rainbow Knockout'?

• seil zone 6b MI
    10 years ago

The coloring looks right. I'd give it some time to settle in after planting before passing judgment. You don't have any idea what kind of growing conditions this plant has endured while these blooms were set. There could be a lot of reasons why the bloom size and petal count are off.

• Alwayzbgrateful
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Duplicate

This post was edited by Alwayzbgrateful on Tue, Sep 3, 13 at 23:43

• kittymoonbeam
    10 years ago

If I really wanted CP, I wouldn't buy that rose. It's a cutie but I never had a CP make a flower like that. Show us some canes and closeups of thorns and leaves.

• Alwayzbgrateful
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The way this one is growing looks more like a climbing rose than a HT.Then again I'm not an expert by any means. I'm still baffled. I even sent a pic to a lady that owns a local nursery(. We quickly became friends after I told her what project I'm in the middle of) And even she's sure its not CP. But hasn't any ideas as to what it could be either. Its a real conundrum

• roseseek
    10 years ago

The rose pictured is STRIPED and it is a semi double, open flower on either a shrub, floribunda or perhaps even a climbing plant. It is NOT a Hybrid Tea. Whatever it is, the plants are definitely mislabeled. The Lowe's tag says they guaranty it to live for one year, but I'll bet is says nothing about guarantying it to be true to name. More schlock. Too bad. Kim

• Alwayzbgrateful
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's another close up

• Alwayzbgrateful
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And another

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

I haven't grown Chicago Peace in a number of years now, but my memory (which I hope is not playing tricks on me) is that CP is a more slender, vertical/vase-shaped hybrid tea form--not thick and bushy like the one in the picture.

From the pic, I'd say you either have a striped climber or the makings of a really big, thick, and full shrub with striped flowers. That doesn't look hybrid tea-like at all--to me, anyway.

Kate

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Does this rose look like Citrus Burst to anyone else? Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Citrus Burst on HMF

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Does this rose look like Citrus Burst to anyone else? Kim

Here is a link that might be useful: Citrus Burst on HMF

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    10 years ago

There is a kind of similarity, isn't there. Except that Citrus Burst has a more dramatic color contrast whereas the pics above look more pastel, soft, and "pretty," if you know what I mean. Maybe a sport or a "cousin"?

Kate

• susan4952
    10 years ago

That is a sweet little rose. Not CP. not by a long shot.....but you NEED one. Lol. All of the Peace roses are magnificent.

• Alwayzbgrateful
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kim, you hit the nail on the head! Take a look at what else I found out there

• Alwayzbgrateful
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That last ones supposed to be "Flawless" Supposedly another Hybrid Tea. I talked to some employees they said all those roses are from Sexton Nursery in Tyler Tx. I looked at their site and it says the have roses available for spring and fall 2011. Really? Two yrs since they updated the info that's supposed to be their bread and butter??

• kittymoonbeam
    10 years ago

That is a dirty trick to play on the public if they are intentionally mislabeling the plants. I am off to my local store to take a look for myself.

• Alwayzbgrateful
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Is it possible to get a hold of the patent holders and pay them whats owed from the sale of the two pots my neighbor purchased? I realize it wouldn't be much but at least we could inform them of what going on? I just hate feeling like someone (probably several people) worked really hard poured their blood sweat amd tears into their rose just to have someone try and steal from them.
    I guess I'm allowing my emotions to take over logic.
    -Lyna

• roseseek
    10 years ago

The website isn't their bread and butter, though. More than likely, Home Depot and Lowe's bought their entire production. Think about it. Even though both stores have SCAN, where NOTHING is paid for until it goes through the cash register, and even though they guaranty the plants to live for a year or they charge them back to Sexton, everything they can pump out the door can be shipped when ready to both stores, which pump product out the door like poop through a goose. They don't have to be named properly, they only have to be healthy, vigorous and in color. They don't even have to be Grade 1 plants, just pushed, forced, to look good. It's been common practice to push the culls, those which don't make Grade 1 or 1.5 plants their first season, into bud and bloom, canned roses for discount retailers. Sexton appears to have selected varieties which produce decent plants well. They appear to be able to generate decent plants as a supplier and they can sell all they can pump out without having to guaranty them to be true to name. And, they can do most of wholesale, so they don't have to deal with any retail customers. From Sexton's point of view (except SCAN), what's not to like? Kim

• roseseek
    10 years ago

Yes, if you can determine what the actual name of the variety is, you can search for it on Google Patents. The patent, if there is one, will tell you who owns its. Contacting the owner with the information will permit them to determine if going after Sexton is worth their while. Some may feel it is, others may not. Remember, though, it isn't Lowe's or HD who mis named the roses, it is the GROWER. Proving they deliberately misnamed patented roses (or ANY roses for that matter) to avoid royalties is very difficult. It could always be blamed on ignorant help, careless help, etc. Most likely, in this economy, Sexton had product they needed to dump and Lowe's made them an offer they couldn't refuse. Remember, Lowe's doesn't give a hoot whether that rose really IS what the label says, just that it is pretty, healthy, retail worthy and sells. Period. Kim

• kittymoonbeam
    10 years ago

why not just sell them without labels then? The customer decides if they like the look of it enough to buy. That works with other flowers they sell. I bought a few minis from markets that way. Some were good garden plants and some were not, but none had labels that lied to me.

This post was edited by kittymoonbeam on Thu, Sep 5, 13 at 1:32

• roseseek
    10 years ago

First, many states require name, planting instructions and care directions on plants. Second, providing no information on the actual plant requires tremendous customer service, which is expensive, for people to continually ask questions, so consider it "point of sale" information. Third, very few would sell, period, without at least the minimum of information about the plant.

Here in the Los Angeles area, particularly mini roses, come with a tag stating they are mini roses with the most basic of planting and care information. Usually, those labels have no varietal names on them at all, just "Rosa - Miniature". At my local Home Depot, I have encountered one, two and three gallon full size rose plants with similar labels, minimal care and planting information and absolutely no cultivar names at all. If you want to know the particulars about the specific rose, and you want that information from someone who actually knows it, big box stores just aren't the best places to buy them from. Kim

• Alwayzbgrateful
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Kittymoonbeam, u brought up a very good point, thank you! Our area Home Depot sells roses tagged "Rosa" and that's it. But they insist they dont actually "own" a plant until it passes the register. They said their employees have zero contact with any plants unless it has fallen to the floor, or helping a customer, basic stuff. They really stressed to me ONLY the growers can come water the plants, fluff 'em up, etc. But when I asked Home Depot who their suppliers were it was like, a highly guarded secret. So how is John Q. Public supposed to know how the plants were grown ? if they are organically treated? Or even if they have the correct plant. General labels regularly fall off at some point , I have even seen several employees attempt to assist a customer name a plant and no one knew what is was, not even managers. I finally told the customer it was a Holly Hock. Simple (General) info shouldn't be like pulling teeth. I realize most people walk into a store see a pretty plant buy it, and alls well. But IMO , more and more people want some kind of info on where their moneys goin' . So many, especially senior citizens dont have any idea as to where to look. I feel blessed to have found this site. I've gotten more info here on how to properly grow roses in my area then I could've ever imagined.

• mzstitch
    10 years ago

One way to find out the possible supplier without even asking is to look at the metal racks all the plants come in on. Here in my part of S.C. they say "Stacey's Nursery". Stacey's nursery happens to be a large Nursery in York, and it appears they provide quite a bit of the stock for our local Home Depots. So I am guessing its' likely a local large nursery that supplies yours. Check the metal racks in your store to see if its labeled with the home nursery and you could contact that nursery that way. If you point out the error to that nursery they possibly could relabel the plants correctly, it very well could have been an honest mistake by someone!

• roseseek
    10 years ago

You would hope so, mzstitch, but this is a chronic situation, complained about for years, across the country. It's also identical to what I have observed from lower priced, mass producers of nursery stock here in this area for the past thirty-plus years. When stock is produced at a price point, to be sold in mass at a cheap price, care in identification is one of the first things to go. I've posted about this a number of times, in many other threads before. There have been questions about whether a rose picked up at a big box store really was Fragrant Cloud or not, as it had no scent. Usually, they're not as Fragrant Cloud isn't as easily produced as Gypsy is and Gypsy doesn't smell compared to Fragrant Cloud.

These producers are under tremendous pressure to pump out a reliable product. Those roses which pose production issues are frequently replaced with similar varieties which are easier to produce. For a nursery such as Week's, for a rose to be "commercial", it must result in a minimum of 60% Grade 1 plants using whatever the preferred method of production is. This was stated by Tom Carruth who used to be the breeder for Week's. For a mass producer of lower priced stock, this percentage must be higher as they don't have the "luxury" of selling their best plants for higher prices to mail order customers or higher end nurseries. Their product is available to mass merchants, in bulk, at mass quantity discounts. It must be something easily produced in quantity, easily pushed in to bud and bloom in whatever size container required for the price by the retailer, and provided at as low a cost as possible to keep the retail price "cheap". In those "selections", you often find Paradise substituted for Sterling Silver; Gypsy instead of Fragrant Cloud; a number of red HTs all labeled Mr. Lincoln; Queen Elizabeth as QE and several other pink HTs; an so forth. Whatever is easiest and cheapest to grow to the price point is labeled as the more commercial name. Care in identification is often non existent. Yes, you can find some identified correctly, but as this (and many other) thread demonstrates, mis identification is common and there is usually no one available to educate you any differently. Kim

• Karolina11
    10 years ago

Mzstitch, the carts here also say the same thing and I am in central Pennsylvania so don't think the nursery is quite local to me unfortunately.

And Kim, thank you for bringing this up, I have never even thought about why a grower would mislabel a plant besides laziness so this got me thinking. Appreciate the information.

• roseseek
    10 years ago

You're welcome Karolina. Once you understand how some of these things work, you can make better informed choices and realize the gamble some of these "bargains" might actually be. Kim