SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ingrid_vc

Is Anyone Else Ordering Roses This Fall?

I have some gaping holes in my garden since I ruthlessly eliminated roses that were malingering and/or showed no signs of being able to handle the heat, or had disease problems or die-back. I'm not planting a rose anywhere that there hasn't been a rose before, and many bare spots will be filled with other plants once I figure out what will work best.

Having said that, I have ordered four tea roses from the Antique Rose Emporium and am very much looking forward to Madame Lambard, Rhodologue Jules Gravereaux, Baronne Henriette de Snoy and Madame Antoine Mari. I chose this vendor because I understand their roses are large and robust. Chamblee's seems to be sold out of everything interesting, and their offerings of old roses seem to become ever smaller.

Are any of you buying/planting new roses this fall? I'd love to hear about the roses you've chosen.

Ingrid

Comments (40)

• boncrow66
    9 years ago

I plan on ordering from ARE this fall as soon as I can decide what I want:). I am going to order the book Empress of the Garden and will be able to order a free rose as well, but I am sure I will be ordering at least 2 more. Right now I plan on ordering Thomas Affleck and would like to add to that and will be considering Cotilde Soupert, not sure yet, I hear she balls in hot humid weather but I would love to try her. I will be making a trip to Chamblees in the early spring and right now my list for them includes:
    Mrs. Dudley cross
    Duchesse de Brabant
    Ducher
    Tamora

I have a few others I am considering but haven't made a for sure decision. I am very excited about what I have chosen so far and can't wait to start planting next spring and apply some if the knowledge I've learned here on the forum.

• jerijen
    9 years ago

No. But I have some that need planting!

• Related Discussions

Anyone else scooping up those fall bargains at Lowe's/HD?

Q

Comments (22)
    I have both Lowes and HD maybe 10 minutes away from me. They're like Burger King and Mcdonalds here, they have one in every corner!! But they're prices don't come down, If anything they seem to be going up. I remember last year I could find a 8 inch hoya hanging basket for $8 and now they're $15. HD has much cheaper prices than Lowes right now. HD 8 inch baskets are $10, 5 dollars more for the same plant at Lowes. Of course compare to buying on-line they're definitely bargains.
    ...See More

Anyone else nor receiving order?

Q

Comments (3)
    Sorry, but it doesn't look good. Gorge Top Gardens has twice as many negative as positive reviews on a certain Garden Watchdog site that I can't link to (search for "The scoop on Gorge Top Gardens"). Also, I checked out the knockoutrose.net website and it looks awfully suspicious to me. There is zero information about where they're located, and they list just a "toll free" number (which isn't actually toll free). Their line about "For increased security your credit card is not automatically processed by our web site. Your card is processed in our offices by our sales staff" is complete BS. It's actually more likely that this "security measure" is a step they take to make it easier to commit fraud, because then Verisign etc won't get involved. Here is a link that might be useful: Review on a different site
    ...See More

rose cane die back this year anyone else?

Q

Comments (12)
    Jerijen says to get rid of any roses that had canker but my potted rose is doing great still. I know I can never put it in the soil or around other roses because the canker is in the wood. I have not looked at the roots to see if new canker is growing again because the plant is doing so well. Karl advised the bleach treatment to someone else and it worked for me. There is a treatment that will kill the critters that cause canker for use on the soil but it isn't 100% effective and its costly. I had a rose die off exactly as you described. It was healthy in December. I cut it down and moved it in January to a new spot. The old leaves fell off. The new ones grew a few inches then suddenly died. The canes turned dark at the base and continued until the whole cane was dead. I was wondering if I overwatered. One outlying cane is still growing leaves. I'm going to dig up the dead canes and look for cankers. Usually the plant goes into slow deline with canker-fewer, smaller flowers and small slow growing leaves. Eventually canes begin to die. This was a rapid die off of all the canes from the bottom up. Roses on either side are doing great. Wish I had not decided to move it but too late now. I had buried an old possum there the year before. Maybe he didn't appreciate me disturbing him when I planted the rose.
    ...See More

Anyone else in Z8 see their roses begining to leaf?

Q

Comments (3)
    My bulbs are sprouting and my speciman roses are dormant but my wild child by the shed is leafing. I have tried everything to reduce that bramble. She wont bloom, just scratches any one who dares enter the shed. I cut her back and abuse her and she just grows bigger and stronger. I swear I don't know whether to hate her or admire her.
    ...See More
  • ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kippy, Mme. de Sombreuil must be a very vigorous rose since mine, bought as a band, grew like gangbusters, and put out scads of buds early on. I disbudded at first but after a while decided it wasn't necessary.

Ingrid

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Ingrid, how big is yours? I picked this one as the free rose because you said how much you liked her and how well she does. I have a hole saved for her once the heat ends and she finishes leafing out. She was sent with all the leaves picked off.

• User
    9 years ago

Leonie Lamesch
    Souvenir de St. Anne's

• jaspermplants
    9 years ago

I just ordered two today, from ARE, which is where I go first, if they have what I want. I bought Mme Antoine Mari and SLDM. I had Mme Antoine Mari a couple years ago and moved her and she died. She has blooms to die for, so I'm replacing her.

SDLM also died when I tried to take some evil Bermuda grass out around where she was planted. Well, I can't live without her so had to replace her, of course!

• KnoxRose z7
    9 years ago

Oh my goodness, I have just gone on a little spree myself.

I actually placed two orders with Antique Rose Emporium, one was placed over the summer and arrived on the 18th, and when I saw those, I just couldn't help myself, I decided to order a few more that had been added to my list since summer. Being fairly new to antique roses I bought several of what seem to be favorites on the forum (that fit my size/zone requirements) along with a few moderns that I just like the look and reputation of. Here is the combined list:

Duchesse de Brabant
    SDLM
    Lady Hillingdon
    Ducher
    Maggie
    Reine des Violettes
    Reve D'Or
    Madame Isaac Pereire
    Francis Dubrieul (Barcelona)
    Buff Beauty
    Marie Pavie
    Madame Joseph Schwartz
    Rosette Delizy
    Kronprinzessin Viktoria
    Heritage
    Abe Darby
    Climbing Crimson Glory

I also bought a Molineux and a Jude the Obscure from Chamblees over the summer, which arrived on the same day as the first shipment from ARE. This was my first order from them and I was a little surprised when I went about repotting them. The 1 gallon pots they were in looked promising, but when I pull Molineux (the much healthier looking of the two) out of its pot, most of the dirt just falls away to reveal a rootball that was just surprisingly tiny! It looked like they took a band sized plant, stuck it in a gallon size pot, filled it in with soil and mailed it to me. In their defense, their prices are fairly cheap, I only paid $12 a piece plus shipping, so I can't really complain too much, but something just seemed off about that to me, just call a spade a spade.... and that spade was a band, not a gallon.

When this happened I had just finished repotting a few of the roses from ARE, and granted their containers are 2 gallon (twice the size), but their plants really filled them up! Their roots seemed much better developed and I was very impressed with the quality of their plants, so the contrast of the tiny roots from Chamblees was just all the more noticeable.

The molineux that was repotted is doing very well now, showing lots of new growth and even had a tiny flower! So even with the tiny roots, the plant seems healthy, which is all that really matters I guess. I am just going to let Jude sit in his little pot for a while more because he looks like he might need some TLC before he's ready to move.

Kippy, you have me a little nervous about the possible state of the rosette delizy that I ordered from ARE, it is in the second, not yet arrived shipment, I don't know what I would think if I pulled it out and it had black canes! As long as it lives and is healthy from that point on it is ok right? Is it possible for a plant to have such a bad journey home that it impacts it's health for the rest of it's life?

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Dinglehopper, I had remembered some one else getting Rosette Delizy from ARE before and it came with a lot of black canes so I did not freak out too much. But it is disheartening to see at first. But it is leafing out nicely and they are supposed to have the better version so I am happy with mine and would buy from them again (and since they have General Schablikine I probably will tomorrow)

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    9 years ago

Lots of wonderful roses on order! I really like everyone's lists!

I'm in the boat Jeri and Kippy are in. Many things are growing out in 2 and 5 gallon containers that need to be planted either at my place or -for the majority- my parents'.

That said I'm making an order with Burling soon that will primarily be a birthday gift for my Aunt in Glendora who grows OGRs and a few species roses. The order will read:

Portland from Glendora
    Alfred de Dalmas
    Leonie Lamesch
    Madame Antoine Mari (for my Mom)

I see there are several of us getting Mme. Antoine Mari and another person getting a Leonie Lamesch. I'll try to report back how the roses do for my aunt in Glendora. I doubt Alfred de Dalmas would do much on the coast, but it could do well for her I imagine. Same for Portland from Glendora.

I bet (and hope) that Mme. Antoine Mari will do well for my mom, but you never know. Has mildew or balling been an issue with her for anyone who grows it? Of course, a thread about roses on order might not be the best place for questions about a plant's mature tendencies. Never hurts to ask though.

This is an off topic question, but has anyone ever noticed rust on a true Tea? I have yet to notice even a bit of rust on one, but notice plenty of HTs with rust issues. I hadn't really given that thought till I noticed I didn't ask about rust regarding Mme. Antoine Mari.

Jay

• melissa_thefarm
    9 years ago

I've never seen rust on a Tea, but rust is rare in my garden, only a few of the most susceptible falling prey to it at long intervals.
    I haven't decided whether to make an order this fall or not, and of course time is passing. If I do it will consist mostly of once-blooming old roses. I have a fair number of roses to get in the ground in the next three months. Last winter I took suckers from as many of my established roses that I hadn't successfully rooted before as I could, and have a handful of rooted plants and some living in pots. What with my bulb and shrub orders we'll have holes enough to dig as it is. But I haven't gotten any new roses for two years now, and time's a-wasting.
    Melissa

• Kippy
    9 years ago

General S is ordered.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Kippy, my Mme. de Sombreuil is probably about three feet tall and as wide, but it's a very open plant so far. Still, even now in high heat she's putting out new buds and I think will be much fuller in her second year.

I'd forgotten that I've also ordered Duchesse de Brabant, which I've failed with twice, but she's getting a much shadier spot with better soil this time.

Alfred de Dalmas didn't do well for me, but I'm in the hit, dry inland area so closer to the coast it might do much better.

I don't recall ever seeing rust on my teas when La France, Leveson-Gower and a few other roses had it, although they all got better when it became warmer.

Dinglehopper, you have a great list of roses, some of which I grow or grew, and I hope you derive much enjoyment from these beauties.

Ingrid

• Kippy
    9 years ago

Jay. My Portland from Glendora also from Burling is doing great! I already planted it in the ground because it wanted out of the 2 g

Ingrid. I have to decide if I want to put Mlle Sombreuil or Jesse Hildreth in the great-wall-o-tea roses. Sombreuil is the bigger plant now but not sure in the end who will be bigger. I am leaning toward Sombreuil right now and growing Jesse out and putting by a garden shed/small green house I am planning

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    9 years ago

Hmmm, if Alfred de Dalmas wasn't great for you in a hot area, Ingrid, I'm not sure how well it would do for my aunt. Glendora is significantly warmer and less humid than here, but the lows approach much closer to frost there than here on the coast, so I'm not sure if I should maybe just opt for something else for her. She was very intrigued by the photos of Treasure Trail I had taken when I last visited so I thought a remontant moss might be a good choice. True OGR remontant (and once blooming of course) mosses seem like they belong in areas with true seasons as opposed to here in Santa Monica.

That's good news Kippy! I might eventually ask my aunt for a cutting once the plant is doing well in her garden. I assume that PfG has to be a pretty decent rose for someone gardening in the Glendora area, so it shouldn't be too long before it's situated nicely there.

I don't think my aunt has Rosa moyesii, hips and species roses have become her favorite aspects of rose gardening, and Burling has it now, so I've thought about swapping it for Alfred de Dalmas on the order. However, that is one monster of a rose. I don't think I should just give that as a gift without any idea of the space available for climbers/large shrubs.

Are there any more petite or medium-sized OGRs that anyone would recommend from Burling that would do well in an inland zone 9a/8b garden in place of Alfred de Dalmas? The Leonie Lamesch is also headed her way, so ideally something different from it and Portland from Glendora. Thanks for your help!

Jay

• mendocino_rose
    9 years ago

I love ordering roses but there must be at least 50 left to plant and a number of cuttings coming up.so I think I'll cool it.

• buford
    9 years ago

I ordered a bunch from Palentine, mostly Hybrid Tea types on multiflora.

My yard is still being dug up (see picture below) so I have them coming in March. I do want to order more. I want to try some roses on fort. There are two vendors, one in Mississippi and one in Florida, I will take a ride out there over the winter.

Ingrid, you will love Madame Lambard. It's one of my favorites.

This hill in my yard was covered in pine trees (and weeds to be honest). Now it's been cleared. Maybe some nice big teas towards the bottom?

{{gwi:319013}}

Original Author
    9 years ago

buford, big teas sound like a great idea. However, I wondered whether you would be doing some terracing to have more of a flat area for them. The reason I ask is because I've had almost no success growing roses on a slope. Your experience may be different, though, because you have a lot more rain and humidity than I do, and I think my problem was that the roses never got the soaking they needed. I can't think of anything more exciting than choosing roses for an area like that and playing around with color combinations and varieties.

Ingrid

• soncna 9a Slovenia
    9 years ago

I have ordered about 25 roses, mostly OGRs. Mostly from PetroviÃÂ roses (they have one of biggest OGRs collection in Europe), The rose, which I am most excited about is climbing Mme Edouart Herriot. I hope she will arrive safely, because I ordered it from UK. The climbing one is really hard to find. Our rose society member has one and this rose is really breathtaking. You can see her pictures on Helpmefind.

This post was edited by Soncna on Sat, Oct 4, 14 at 6:21

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

No, not a one. Drought, you know. I got a new Agave...

• ArbutusOmnedo 10/24
    9 years ago

Ha, I actually got a new Agave recently as well, Hoovb. A small 'Blue Glow.' I'm letting almost all of my fuchsias and other more water hungry container plants die off on their own and replacing them with succulents. Deppea splendens and two species fuchsias will remain. Many of them were dying or very stressed even before I substantially cut their water allotment.

Jay

• AquaEyes 7a NJ
    9 years ago

I have one rose I ordered, but for Spring delivery. I put myself on a waiting list for "Pickering Four Seasons Rose" from RVR last year, and I got a confirmation a little over a month ago that some were ready. I have a bunch of others on a "possibilities" list that I'm going to mull over for a while, but I promised myself "no more plants until I'm driving."

I want to do more in large pots to have around the property, so being able to live that way was the major deciding factor. But I also have to do something about the terrible soil here for the things already in the ground. So with other things ahead on my "to do list", I'll hold off on mentioning any new roses lest you all praise them so highly that I find I can't help myself.

:-P

~Christopher

• melissa_thefarm
    9 years ago

Soncna,
    Have you ordered from Petrovic before? That's who I'll be ordering from if I get around to it this fall. If you've gotten roses from them before, how did you like them?
    I was wondering what kinds of roses you're getting. Most of my attention these days is going to the once-blooming old roses, though I notice Petrovic is expanding their collection of roses for warm climates. I love the Teas, Chinas, and Noisettes, but they require even more drastic soil amendment than the European old roses, and we haven't gotten around to preparation yet.
    Melissa

Original Author
    9 years ago

That's what I should be ordering too, agaves, but I'm eliminating three more roses so their numbers are steadily dwindling. My four crape myrtles look terrible, the leaves yellow and crispy. Watering doesn't seem to help. It's going to be interesting to see what's left in a few years.

Ingrid

• buford
    9 years ago

ingrid, the hill actually looks less steep than it was before, but I might ask the guys to add a 'step' and level out the lower part a bit more. Before this area had no roses, I did have a butterfly garden in the middle. And I can't believe the soil in this spot (which came from under my lawn) is great sandy loam. Not the sticky clay I seem to have in every bed I try to dig in. That's always the way it is, isn't it?

• Kes Z 7a E Tn
    9 years ago

In the past I've had more success with planting almost everything in the fall than in the spring but last winter's losses have made me rethink things. I ordered only one rose, Heavenly Pink, for the fall (actually late summer) and it's in the ground, hopefully growing a good root system before winter.

I will be ordering several roses this fall to come next spring. The only antique is Souvenir de Therese Levett on my wish list at Angel's Rose Nursery. Pam said that she was considering growing it for next spring so fingers crossed.

My next big project will be to find room for at least a couple tea noisettes. Maybe next fall...

• lori_elf z6b MD
    9 years ago

None. I'm done downsizing for now but I'm not adding new roses to my collection unless one of my existing ones don't make it through the winter. Last year's harsh winter gave me the "opportunity" to get three new roses this past spring and I'm going to wait and see how they make it.

• titian1 10b Sydney
    9 years ago

Being opposite in seasons, Ingrid, I'll tell you what I've recently planted. I planted 20 this Spring, having removed almost that many that failed to thrive. The two I love the most are both Chinas, Irene Watts and Jean Bach Sisley (or Creekside Manor Tea in the US). They both stood up to yesterday's 86 deg temp, though I have to add, IW is shaded from the afternoon sun. IW has the the loveliest blooms (my daughter says wedding-cakey), and I adore the fresh pink of JBS, and she's very free-blooming.
    I do enjoy seeing your photos. Your garden still looks lovely, despite the drought.
    Trish.

• User
    9 years ago

I am hoping to put in an order with Petrovic roses too - they have a couple of thrilling species such as Rhodonica. Waitziana and a few spins including Aicha which I want. They have said all should be OK but I am supposed to check with my 'local agent' (I guess they mean Defra or summat) to check with customs as Serbia is still not an EU member. Not at all sure how to do this although I did send emails to various government departments but have heard nothing back.
    Soncna, did you order from the UK and will you be getting plants sent there?

OMG, the prices are so cheap and all, as well as the variety....and I think they use canina as a rootstock instead of canina laxa....which is also a plus.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Trish. I wish it were 86 degrees here, since we're still in the nineties, but this endless summer has to end some time. We actually call Jean Bach Sisley by the same name here, although Creekside Manor Tea was probably the study name for this rose in some nurseries until it was correctly identified. Also, confusingly it's sometimes classed as a tea and sometimes as a China. Thankfully, all we have to do is enjoy it.

Ingrid

• User
    9 years ago

I also had a 'vague' moment and found myself ordering a dozen or so roses from Holland (tuincentrum lottum) at ridiculously cheap prices) I think I must have been a bit fevered because I cannot now recall what they were (although I am pretty certain the moyessii 'Geranium', Margaret Hilling, hugonis, canina Kiese, Kew Ramble, Venusta Pendula and a couple of eglantine briars were part of the mix. Ah well, they will be arriving in November (when I will be lifting a whole heap from the allotment).....when all will be clear.

• soncna 9a Slovenia
    9 years ago

Campanula, I ordered from tuincentrum lottum too ( I must send email, when they will be sending orders).
    If you want Petrovic roses, you can order it on this website, but you must translate page to English first :
    http://www.vrtnicekodele.si/
    I know the owner and she told me, that sometimes she sends rose orders to other EU countries (but I do not know about UK). She arranges all required legal papers for import from Serbia to EU.
    Melissa, I first ordered from PetroviÃÂ last year. Mostly OGRs and some Austins. I ordered bourbons, hyb. perpetuals and teas. In our country there are many rose lovers, who have PetroviÃÂ roses for some years now and his roses are highly praised.
    Campanula, I ordered roses from UK last year (Peter Beales) and they were travelling for almost two weeks. When I finally received them, they were not in best condition, but despite this, they are growing pretty well. This year I ordered from Trevor White.

This post was edited by Soncna on Sat, Oct 11, 14 at 14:08

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    9 years ago

Still waiting for the DA catalog to come out before I order. Won't be out until the middle of next month. Sigh!

• User
    9 years ago

Oh, I LOVE Trevor White's roses - the best I have ever ordered - huge vigorous roots and 50% cheaper than Beales.
    Petrovic did say they could send roses to EU but I freaked out at the cost of plant passports (phyto-sanitary papers) - 35euros for each plant.....which means they are completely out of my range.
    Have you ever ordered from Bierkreek, Soncna? I like their roses because they grow on canina and not canina laxa (those taproots!)....but again, paying bank orders makes this an expensive process.
    I adore Slovenia - I spent a few summers during the late 80's hanging about Yugoslavia (when it was just Yugoslavia) and had a fabulous time - that rocky coast (although I was just outside of Slovenia in Umag), lovely people, great food and weather.

• melissa_thefarm
    9 years ago

Suzy,
    That doesn't sound right. I ordered from Petrovic two years ago and the phytosanitary ticket was a flat fee, so not much if one is making a large order. Italy is EU, of course, and it's possible to order, though the Italian postal service can make it a nerve-wracking experience. Have you enquired directly from Mr. Petrovic? He knows English; I corresponded with him when I made my order.
    Soncna, thanks for the feedback. I wanted to hear about someone else's experience. A friend is quite down on Petrovic, while I've been pretty happy with my order from him.
    Melissa
    P.S. I'm hoping to make another order next fall, in a year's time. This year it is enough just getting the planting holes ready. And I have a considerable backlog of plants to get in the ground.

• soncna 9a Slovenia
    9 years ago

Melissa, as far as I know, the costs for import of roses from Serbia are high. In my country they were no individual orders through the years, but rose society members made one big order and split the costs between themselves.
    I first ordered from Bierkreek last year. I was pleased, because roses came quickly and they were strong bare roots. Also a lot of our rose society members ordered from this nursery and majority have good opinion about it.

• User
    9 years ago

Yes, I emailed and got a quick response which basically said I should check with the import requirements. Obviously, finding a way through the morass of governmental departments has proved futile (have tried, zero response) and I feel a bit unwilling to hassle the people at Petrovich to find out for me....but on their website, they do quote this 35 euro fee per item so my dozen roses seemed to be the heights of extravagance....but oh, I want some of the wildlings very much.
    Because of the woods, I have had a rose-ordering moratorium for the past 2 years....although I know autumn is not always a major ordering time in the US
    , I am not seeing those great lists, from multiple nurseries, which some people indulged in....sometimes to the tune of hundreds of roses....so perhaps the recession (which is certainly not over in the UK) has much still to answer for.

• jacqueline9CA
    9 years ago

Campanula - I think the short lists you are seeing from the US for Fall orders has more to do with the fact that Fall is the best time to plant if you live on the US West Coast, or in other very mild winter places. And, the West Coast is where we have had a severe drought for the last 3 years, so many people are not watering as much, and thus are not adding dozens and dozens of new roses as they might have in years past.

Hopefully this will change, and we will have a nice wet Winter this year, but so far it is still very sunny and very hot (in the 90s here in No Cal this week).

Jackie

• soncna 9a Slovenia
    9 years ago

Campanula, you can still send an email to the owner of the website I mentioned above (info@vrtnicekodele.si). Maybe she will be prepared to send roses to UK. But you should act quickly, because in next few weeks she will receive this year order from PetroviÃÂ.
    When I order roses from UK to Slovenia, the shipping costs are around 20 pounds for 5 roses.

• s
    8 years ago

Question for Campanula (or anyone else) - can you please give me feedback on your order from tuincentrum lottum in Holland - would you recommend them?

Sharlene