SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lucretia1_gw

Name the disease resistant roses

lucretia1
14 years ago

Went out in the no-spray yard today to see who's looking good, and took a few pictures of the best and the worst. Without looking at the shapes/colors of the leaves (or the lousy image quality!), can you tell which is which based on the amount of the disease?

The roses are (in no particular order: Cardinal de Richelieu, Intrigue, Golden Showers, Jeri Jennings, Mme Isaac Pereire, Souv. de Dr Jamain, Alchymist, and Pink Gruss an Aachen.

Rose #1:

{{gwi:326825}}

Rose #2:

{{gwi:326826}}

Rose #3:

{{gwi:326827}}

Rose #4:

{{gwi:326828}}

Rose #5:

{{gwi:326829}}

Rose #6:

{{gwi:326830}}

Rose #7:

{{gwi:326831}}

Rose #8:

{{gwi:326832}}

Think you know which ones are the disease magnets and which are disease resistant? The roses are:

# 1: Dr Jamain

#2: Golden Showers

#3: Intrigue

#4: Jeri Jennings

#5: Mme Isaac

#6: Pink Gruss

#7: Alchymist

#8: Cardinal de R

No particular point to make here. I just found it interesting that this year the roses that are some of the cleanest in my yard are some that are supposed to be among the worst for disease resistance. (And yes, some of the photos are of new growth and some of older leaves, but the pictures are pretty typical of how the whole bush is doing.) Some of them are only about a year old, so things might change over time, but it sure wasn't what I expected based on reputations. I guess there is a point to be made--if you see a rose you can't live without, even if it has a lousy reputation, give it a try. What have you got to lose?

Comments (5)