SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
brandyray

Roses you have had for 3 yrs & still like

brandyray
16 years ago

Reading a lot of the postings, I get the feeling that many new roses don't last long because of dissatisfaction. I was wondering if some of you would post about roses you've had at least 3 yrs and still like. Maybe some of them will be among my new bands... Maybe you can say what is outstanding about them for you, too. thanks, Brandy

Comments (26)

• carla17
    16 years ago

Perle d' Or
    Centennaire de Lourdes
    SDLM
    Jude the Obscure
    Dublin Bay
    Craomisi Superieur
    Clementina Carbonieri
    Quietness
    Belinda's Dream
    Gruss an Aachen
    Ambridge Rose
    Carla

• Related Discussions

3yr old BB flowering like Crazy in Jan?

Q

Comments (17)
    Bshef, Ive been wondering the same thing about self watering containers for blues. I saw a good video on You Tube about growing figs in self watering containers and I know they can be sensitive to wet feet like blues. His plants were huge and healty too. I have a 3 more plants that I need to pot up and will put one of them in a home made earth box pot and report my results. I assume with a earth box type pot system the potting media will need to be pretty fine to wick up the water so I will have to change my usual mix. Only time will tell.
    ...See More

Help. Had for 3 years and still don't know what it is.

Q

Comments (2)
    Thank you so much! It looks like that is exactly what they are! I really appreciate your response.
    ...See More

Had first frost, but roses are still go strong

Q

Comments (11)
    That is indeed strange that another person found a way to post as you!!! Red Leonardo sent me scurrying to HMF. How big does it get for you in VA? I've been searching for a heart-be-still red, other than my lovely Mr. Lincoln, and this may be it. Francois Rabelais showed up as bright orange-red in our nursery! Phooey. L D Braithwaite, Red Eden, Rouge Royal, The Squire and William Shakespeare 2000 are ones I haven't seen in person and would like to. Comments from all are welcome - true color, growth size or disease problems.
    ...See More

3yr old still using bottle at night!

Q

Comments (10)
    My 3 year old DD goes to bed with half bottle warm milk,we sing wee willie winkie,we all (the whole family)! kiss her good-night, I close the door and she happily goes to sleep and wakes at 6:45. My other DD, now 14 went to bed the same way. The day before she started school at age 4 (was in England), I told her that she can throw the bottle away and have a cup of warm milk before going to bed because she is going to school the next day and is too big for a bottle now. She was fine with this and it worked, though she was a little sad and still remembers having felt a little sad about it.She's a fab daughter and has great teeth! I think its fine if the child is happy with it, its not too problematic for the parents and the child always uses the toilet before bed and 1st thing on waking. My 3 year old is always dry at night but I keep her potty and tissues next to her bed so she can go straight away in the morning.
    ...See More
  • oath5
    16 years ago

I've had my Roseraie de L'Hay for about three years, it's yet to get to it's mature size so I feel like next summer it's going to literally explode and eat my fence, it's growls at me when I pass by.

That's very much her character, she's by no means a completely "pretty" rose as she is loaded with prickly rugosa thorns and while her shape is appealing, I wouldn't want to mess with her much. Her "don't touch me" leaves get a bit tired looking by August, but then again I think the rugosas are some of wisest roses and set/drop their leaves according to the sun and not temperature, so it's somewhat expected that they're going to yellow a bit earlier.

So far though her flowers are gorgeous and so contrastingly feminine to it's butch, masculine "personality". If you like informal blossoms than you'd love this one. The color is hard to describe, more like a magenta that quickly displays cool tones. When she drops her petals they turn a bit more slate-mauve. The perfume is outrageously good, very rosey with I want to say almost soapy like qualities (at least to me) and has that characteristic rugosa clove undertone that all together make it wonderful to smell but not overbearing. Each year she's given me more and more blooms and had about three flushes with one mini flush on newer growth. One is before Japanese beetles in May, one occurs during the invasion and that flush this year I deadheaded to deter them from eating the foliage, and then she blooms again after the beetles somewhat die off for the year.

It would probably like the coastal climate too.

• cecily
    16 years ago

I'm picky, my roses must have highly BS resistant foliage (no spray), a pleasing bush shape (some teas & chinas don't have enough foliage to suit me), zillions of petals and frequent bloom. My faves, in no particular order, are:
    Monsieur Tillier
    Marie Van Houtte
    Clothilde Soupert
    Caldwell Pink/Pink Pet
    Jean Bach Sisley

• bobkat13
    16 years ago

I just started my garden in June 2005, so I hope my opinion is still good here? These are the ones that are doing very well, in spite of my inexperience - and I really LIKE them:

Pat Austin - I have 5 of them! JB's not quite as fond of them as most of the other roses, good rebloom, gorgeous
    color.

Penelope - I have 4 of them. They don't get nearly enough sun, not even for hybrid musks. Sun doesn't even hit them until about 3:00 p.m. during the summer. But bloom and bloom and bloom, as long as you deadhead. New growth is just gorgeous plum colored.

Kronprincessin Viktoria - I only planted her this past spring, but she's already a star! Great big FAT smelly white blooms.

Marie Pavie - I have 3 now, and one started my garden with me in May 2005. Smelly smelly smelly and cute white/pink.
    Bloom, bloom, bloom.

Mons Tillier - I planted him fall 2005 and he didn't do too much the first 2 years, but oh my goodness - look at him now! Covered in yummy pink in two shades.

The Fairy - we just moved her into the "inside the fence" garden. She was beyond the pale and totally neglected and just bloomed her little heart out anyway.

Kathleen - I never get around to deadheading her, so really only get a wonderful spring flush. But the prettiest orange hips in the fall. I'll post a pic of those hips in a minute here.

Heritage - truly a great rose. Smell, bloom form, color, health. What more can I say?

Albertine - a once bloomer. Plunked right down into unprepared soil, out beyond our fenced in garden and then forgotten. One of our two has climbed the tree and both of them put out gorgeous BIG smelly blooms this past spring.

Westerland - I'll never get tired of this one. Big beautiful blooms of the most amazing peachy orange!

• bobkat13
    16 years ago

I wish my hips looked this good!

{{gwi:314858}}

• devon_gardener
    16 years ago

Brandy, there are some roses I have, that I have'nt had
    for three years, yet that I know I'm going to love always,
    like Graham Thomas, but of the ones I have, I still like
    Rosarium Ueterson greatly. It is an amazing Kordes rose!

{{gwi:314859}}

{{gwi:314860}}

• karenforroses
    16 years ago

Wow, Devon. I've often thought of getting Rosarium Ueterson, and your pictures just nudged me into the "I HAVE TO HAVE IT" zone! It's hardy here in zone 5 which is a strong plus,on top of being so beautiful. In terms of Brandyray's question, it often takes a good 3 years for a rose to reach it's true potential here in zone 5, so the third year is when I'm just beginning to truly appreciate it for what it will be.

• melva
    16 years ago

Cinderella the Bourbon/Noisette
    Noella Nabonnand
    Perle d'Or
    Blush Noisette
    Cornelia
    Silver Appleyard
    Fewell's Noisette
    Katherine Zeimet
    Lindee
    Fourth of July
    Bishop Darlington
    Marie Drivon
    Mary Washington
    Champney's Pink Cluster
    Salet
    Kiss'n'Tell
    Perle des Jardin
    Lemon Tea
    Abraham Darby
    Bow Bells
    Morey's Pink China
    Camellia Rose
    Ballerina
    Georgetown Tea

• barbarag_happy
    16 years ago

Belinda's Dream--big fat cabbage-rose blooms all over, sweetly fragrant, and super healthy. Ask me again in 2 years and I'll definiately be adding Quietness-- gorgeous pink blooms just cover the bush. Both these roses have a rare quality of being both great garden roses and good cut flowers. The blooms may resemble hybrid teas but the plants do not-- both tend to be wider than tall with nice foliage.

• gnabonnand
    16 years ago

Very good question. Here are a few that I've had for over three years, and I like them better and better each year! As for the other roses I've had for over three years, I still like them, but I can't really say I like them more each year.

Mrs Dudley Cross
    Basye's Blueberry (I've grown this one before & am on my second specimen)
    Pink Gruss an Aachen
    Valentine

Randy

• brandyray
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks to everyone for sharing their favorites!
    I like those hips, bobkat. I am probably going to order Westerland and Pat Austin. I love the colors!
    Melva, what collection of roses you must have! I have 4th of July- still a baby. Perle d'Or is on my list- need some cream-colored roses to contrast w/ my reds. Many of those roses I have not heard of.
    Devon- Ros. U. is impressive. I remember hearing of it before.
    Thank you Barbara, and Randy. Wishing all of you a good winter for your roses- not too cold. Brandy

• mmmgonzo
    16 years ago

I like this topic :)

My favorites:

Lady of the Mist
    Pat Austin
    Star of the Nile (gotta get it!)
    Marie Van Houtte
    Leonie Lamesch
    Mme. Watteville (I am wondering if this is really what it was sold to me as, but whatever I have I love it)
    Golden Celebration
    The Pilgrim
    Gertrude Jeckyll
    Jean Giono
    Fabulous!
    Crepuscle
    Mons. Tillier

Those are the ones I would replace for sure if I lost everything due to some sort of circumstance.

Now, there are a lot I have that I wouldn't replace. I don't dislike them enough to remove them, but I don't love them enough to replace them.. that is another whole posting :)

Marleah

• malmason
    16 years ago

Mine will be:

Blush Noisette & Kronprincessin Viktoria - I only have them rose for 2 years, and wish I had it sooner. Very fragrant & continuous bloom, very healthy, and beautiful bush. KV is a slow grower and seems she uses all the energy for blooming.

Dutchess de Brabant & Mme. Joseph Swartz - Love them, love them, love them. Love the bloom shape and changing color. Very healthy.

G. Nabonnand - I just planted because I heard he is good, now I will not be without. Very dependable. It is very neat to see how the bloom color changes depends on the season.

Mrs Dudley Cross - Slow to extablish, but I am so glad I waited. The redness of the new growth adds the accent color in Fall.

Papa Gontier & Rainbow - I didn't care much at the beginning, and now really like them. Beautiful and healthy bush.

Perle d'Or - Very healthy, blooms constantly with fragrant flowers, dependable. I would have done mass planting in a front yard if I have known.

• lori_elf z6b MD
    16 years ago

I have been growing roses for over 11 years now and I have to say that even after three years some roses (especially tiny bands) still haven't reached full-grown size or best blooming. That is not nearly enough time to evaluate a rose. I grow about 125, too numerous to list here, and replace/add less than ten a year now. I would also like to put in a good word for larger bareroot roses because they are about a year ahead of bands, and I love multiflora as a rootstock because it adds vigor to some varieties.... Best of luck to you!

• brandyray
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you Marleah, Malm. and lori.
    Lori, I said 3 yrs because it sounds like many roses don't make it that long before their owners become disenchanted. A rose that has made it 3 yrs is probably "a keeper".
    Marleah- of that list, I have seen pics of Lady of the Mist, van Houtte, and Mons Tillier- all very attractive. I am trying not to go overboard- I still have all these trellises to build... Brandy

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
    16 years ago

These are my favorites, but I also have some new ones that I already know will be future favorites.

Old Favorites:

Mutabilis
    Cl. Lady Hillingdon
    Felicia
    Duchesse de Brabant
    News
    Mrs. Dudley Cross
    Cottage Rose

New Favorites:

Route 66
    Our Lady of Guadalupe
    Abraham Darby
    Teasing Georgia

• ceterum
    16 years ago

Old garden roses and semi-old garden roses like H. Musks) that I have in the yard for minimum 3 years, in certain cases much longer.

Climbers:
    Crepuscule, Jaune Desprez, Prosperity, Marechal Niel, Buff Beauty. - these are "no spray" in my garden. Zephirine Drouhin (the oldest climber), Gloire de Dijon (it suffered major dieback after the big Eastern freeze; if it dies, I will order a new one from Pickering)- Zephirine needs spraying and Gloire also benefits from occasional spraying.
    Anoter Noisette I have is Celine Forestier (must be sprayed)

Shrubs: SDLM (I have 4), Kronprincessin Victoria (2), Catherine Mermet, Felicia (needs spraying), Paul Neyron, Devoniensis, Lady HillGruss an Aachen, Duchesse de Brabant (about 8 years), Luise Philippe, Lady Hillingdon, Clotilde Soupert, Mme. J. Schwartz and Baronne Prevost (BP must be sprayed regularly). A few Bourbons, HPs, a few teas and Portalnd damasks were planted in the last 3 years except for Comte the Chambord that I have about 6 years - I intend to SP it every year but the fragrance saves its place.

Moderns - too many to list so I mention a few
    Climbers: Colette (my favorite and the best modern climber I have), New Dawn, cl. Pink Peace, Cl. Peace (all are older than 6 years - DH would not hear about getting rid of cl. Peace that must be sprayed and has RMV), The Field of the Woods, Pele, cl. America and a no name cl. with similar flowers as Foklore, Ilse Krohn Superior, Eden. Cl. Mrs Mc Gredy, Royal Sunset. I think Papi Delbard is in his 3rd year.

HTs, floribundas and shrubs: Abbaye de Cluny, Bolero, Frederic Mistral, Johann Strauss, Yves Piaget,Bewitched (the oldest HT in my yard along with Double Delight), Lemon Spice, Antigua (one of the oldest), Taboo, Papa Meilland (I got a second one this year), Royal William, Velvet Fragrance, Black Baccarat, Rouge Royale, Red Intuition, Jardins de Bagatelle, Secret, Crimson Glory, Europeana, Bride's Dream, Ambridge rose, Medallion, Tiffany, Cherry Parfait, Paris d'Yves St. Laurent, Belle Epoque, Valencia, Scent-Sation, Just Joey, Elina, Our Lady of Guadalupe, Heritage, Abraham Darby, Paradise, Memorial Day, Ginger Hill
    and about a hundred more.

It would have been a much shorter list If I should enumerate those that I SP-ned or gave away.

• mariannese
    16 years ago

3 years is rather early to evaluate a new rose in my climate, especially if ownroot. Of the 17 roses I planted in 2005 my favourites so far are Abraham Darby, Lykkefund, Rhapsody in Blue and Sangerhäuser Jubiläumsrose, all of them grafted. Lykkefund has not reached its full potential, of course, but it is already 10 ft tall but still skinny and it will take some time for it to clothe its support, a nearly dead plum tree. I agree about Kronprinzessin Viktoria, mine is also only two years but already fully grown and flowers profusely, much more than my Souvenir de la Malmaison.

Marianne in Sweden

• brandyray
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you, ingrid, ceterum, and marianne.
    Of roses you named, I have Lady Hillingdon, Folklore, and Fields of the Wood. These are all bands I rec'd 2 wks ago, so it is nice to see them on the "keepers" list.
    Ceterum- you have so many roses, it would be nice to see a list sometime w/ your notes about them. Maybe something you could almost put together just looking at old posts.
    Thanks everyone. Brandy

• jody
    16 years ago

I like almost all of the roses I've had three years or more. That's why I still have them. After three years, they tend to get the boot if I've not seen something I like. The list would go to 100+, but..

I noticed a trend - certain roses keep showing up in this thread and I concur

Gruss an Aachen
    Pink Gruss an Aachen - my preference
    Clementina Carbonieri
    Marie Pavie
    Belinda's Dream
    Ballarina
    Quietness
    New Dawn
    Westerland
    Fourth of July

I would add:
    Maggie
    Westerland's sport Autumn Sunset
    Almost any of the Buck Roses
    New Dawn's sport
    Iceberg's sport Burgundy Iceberg (which is better than
    Iceberg for me by many times)
    Souv. d'un Ami
    Peter Mayle
    Kanagem
    Folklore
    Mellow Yellow
    Midas Touch
    Francis Dubreull
    Mirandy
    Cherry Parfait
    Hot Cocoa
    Larry Daniels
    Rose Rhapsody
    Mrs. Keay's Pink Noisette
    Carefree Sunshine
    Tropicana
    Fragrant Cloud
    Juane Desprez
    Marjorie Fair
    The English Miss

I'm sure I've left something out. Like the red climbers.

We should have this thread every fall. I've a ton of new roses or roses only a season or two old, so every fall I will be adding to this list.

How do you people get Fields of the Wood? I've been waiting two seasons on a couple of them. I've left places for a pair on the front of the house.

• brandyray
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Jody- I got F of W from Countryside last month and I just checked and it is listed as out of stock :( HMF also has Vintage and Rogue Valley listed as sources.
    I have Fourth of July and Folklore- the first is a baby and the 2nd is a new band. I have ordered Westerland. Why don't you have Playboy? Just wondering... I've heard so much positive about it and then I was fortunate enough to actually be able to see it and I was very impressed w/ it and Folklore. (I also liked Garden Party, Strike it Rich, and Stretch Johnson, but I was advised that I would have to spray them, so I guess I won't be getting them.) In short, I have a bunch of new roses, and 2 that I would like to give away- rugosas Robusta and Alba.
    Thanks for your great list! Brandy

• rosefolly
    16 years ago

Marie Pavie
    Old Port
    Pierre de Ronsart (Eden)
    Violette
    Francis Dubreuil
    Ferdinand Pichard
    Stanwell Perpetual
    Autumn Damask
    Felicite Parmentier
    Charles de Mills
    Konigan von Danemark
    Tradescant
    Buff Beauty
    Honorine de Brabant
    Rose de Rescht
    R. moschata

Probably a dozen more; these come to mind.

There are also quite a few two-and-a-half-year old roses that please me very much, definite keepers. Among them are Careless Love, Sydonie, Yolande d'Aragon, and Grandmother's Hat. I would have included the BPR clone of La Reine that recently bit the dust (literally), and since it was not at all its fault, I'll try it again.

Rosefolly

• jbcarr
    16 years ago

I have a climbing Crimson Glory that is in a large thermolite pot for over 10 years. No spray, and keeps on . Not a blooming fool, but does great, especially in fall and spring. It is heavenly on a nice crisp fall day- you know, one that's about 75 degrees, no clouds, and no humidity. I have root pruned it a few times, and kept it at ~4 feet in height. I also have 3 of the bush form, just to increase the bounty. Here it is in the spring.
    {{gwi:314861}}

• jody
    16 years ago

jbcarr: I planted two Cl. Crimson Glorys last year. They have 6'+ canes on them already - a ton of basal breaks this spring. They are planted at the front of the house so I'm pleased that they are already putting on a good show.

• brandyray
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Beautiful rose, jb. Brandy