SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aquaeyes_gw

Things learned for next year (pleas share yours!)

AquaEyes 7a NJ
9 years ago

Garden musings in October:

1) The few survivors from seeds I sprinkled in Spring have done well, but would have looked better if there were more of them. Note to self -- be sure the landlord turned on the hose out back before trying again next year.

2) Cynoglossum amabile 'firmament' makes a beautiful puff of true-blue tiny flowers, and it is still blooming. Note to self -- be sure to sprinkle more of this next year, especially around anything that blooms yellow. The ones surrounding the rose 'Happy Child' really set it off.

3) I ran out of money before planting an Autumn layer. Note to self -- I need Japanese anemones and Asters next year.

4) Annual Madascar periwinkle (Catharanthus) gives easy no-care color anywhere in full-sun, functioning like Impatiens but without the need to water them much (or at all). Note to self -- these will be my "fillers" for wherever I need them next year, as well as African marigolds in yellow (NEVER orange!).

5) Petunias with the pot-pet red HT roses look nice for a while -- until the Petunias eat up all the nutrients in the soil and leave the roses with not enough to keep blooming. Note to self -- don't do this again next year, and use Sweet Potato vines instead, which look fine without flowers.

6) Speaking of my red HTs -- the plants may like full all-day sun, but the blooms certainly don't. Note to self -- move them to where they are in shade during the afternoon, and consider something more sun-fast for pots, like Teas, Chinas, Polyanthas, etc. Any excuse for more roses, right?

7) Moonflower vine (Ipomoea alba) is beautiful, but the blooms open and look best while I'm at work, and during the day are just a mass of large heart-shaped green leaves and spent flowers from the night before. Note to self -- consider climbing Nasturtium for that same difficult spot against the fence next year, which are more colorful during the day.

8) So many things I wanted to do this year didn't happen because I couldn't just make an impromptu trip to Home Depot, and as a result, I got frustrated with the yard. Note to self -- don't spend another dollar on the yard until I buy a car, which will also allow for other much-needed changes.

:-)

~Christopher

ETA -- of ALL the things to have a typo, I misspell "please" in the subject line, and I can't edit it. Argh!

:-/

This post was edited by AquaEyes on Sun, Oct 19, 14 at 2:47

Comments (28)