SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissa_thefarm

Digging

melissa_thefarm
14 years ago

October is a busy month. We're shifting potted plants indoors or into cold greenhouses, planting young herbaceous perennials and aromatic plants out into the garden (ca. 200 of the latter; this isn't a minor task), mailing out rose cuttings, planting cuttings we receive. I haven't gotten around to planning orders yet. This is also the month to go visiting to see other gardens.

I have a general sense of having too much to do and not enough time to do it in, but I'm enjoying working in the garden just the same. I forgot weeding and mulching: we clean up when we plant out the babies. I also forgot planting out the roses rooted from cuttings taken a year ago. A lot of these are going into places where roses died or failed to thrive, so the soil obviously needs to be amended. This is where the digging comes in. We've been mulching for a few years now and in many places the difference shows: the ground is moist, there's a layer of humus, we have earthworms. In other places the soil is intransigent and calls for more work. My husband hauls out a sack filled with bagged compost (the kind used for potted plants) and coarse sand, and pulls out chunks of adobe-like gray clay. We break up the chunks with our hands or the shovel, add all the composted hay we can find around the hole, add the bagged compost and sand, and mix it up. We make a big hole, or at least bigger than we used to do. We plant the rose, water generously, mulch, and hope that this time it will work. Obviously it's the tough roses that go in these spots. The worst areas are also in full sun and battered by wind. Bourbons, Albas, forms of R. foetida, and Damasks seem to offer the most promising candidates for these difficult positions, though there are surprises like 'William Lobb', a tall purple moss that has always done well.

We're slowly cutting down and, I hope, killing the greedy and invasive elms (they're the only plant I'll allow my husband to use herbicide on) and replacing them with flowering ash, wild pear, and oaks, mostly in the form of seeds. The ground where we want trees is also very poor, so here too we mulch with hay: I began doing this once I noticed how many tree seedlings I had to pull out of the garden beds. Of course in thirty years we'll have our belt of woods, but you have to start some time.

We still have a couple of tons left from the forty-five tons of hay we bought in spring of 2008 after rain ruined the local farmers' harvest. It has been a godsend (for us, not for the farmers), but we're nearing the end of it; once it's all gone we'll have to scrape along somehow. I think we'll use up the remainder this fall, as we continue to add mulch where it's gotten thin. We could use the same amount all over again, I'm afraid: I'm looking forward to a time when the garden will be more nearly self-sufficient in supplying its own organic matter. We allowed room for a big compost heap in the big garden.

Melissa

Comments (6)