SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
geo_7a

sombreuil or mlle sombreuil (again??)

geo_7a
16 years ago

Sorry to pose this (ad infinitum?) question, but wanted to ask as it appears it may apply to me directly.

I am in either zone 7a (USDA) or smack in the middle of zone 7 (arbor day). Am new (1st year; basically have gone with rugosas, so far) to roses, but as I have become enamored with the concept (beyond rose hips, which was my first interest, in order to span the fruit/berry season into at least early winter, following my thoughts on the medieval church gardens being a, if not the, stemming influence on various plagues/maladies) which I see on the horizon (being the eternal pessimist).........PARDON MY DIGRESSION..

Anyway, thought that teas (noisettes?) wouldn't be sufficiently hardy for my area, but I see both of the above (sombreuil, which is (sort of) colonial white & mlle sombreuil, which is also (correctly?) known as la biche (something to do with blood swallowing pre Ozzie, as I understand)) are hardy to zone 6 (so I'm covered under either chart?).

So, in order to increase variety (to not have a monoculture...thinking about iris' (irises? irisi?), marigolds, geraniums, petunias (to fight off mosquitoes, japanese beetles, cats......may I also need garlic (the blood sucking theme again, although I seem to remember something about roses & garlic doing well together...and if there is one thing we have in N. Delaware its wild garlic). What do delphiniums ward off? Am I missing somehthing else I should consider next spring (in addition to the plants noted & the 33 or so new roses)?

AGAINWhich of the 2 roses would be better for me to try (in a spot where I thought I might take out one of my two autumn olives (will keep the other one for maypop, and possibly a climbing rose?)? Southwest exposure; late morning & afternoon sun.

I see sombreuil is a thorny monster, but is more than recompensed for this by the appearance & fragrance (?) of the flowers.

Very pretty flowers of mlle, too?

So (as usual?) I guess it comes down to (assuming each is hardy in my area) disease resistance (number 1) and fragrance (number 1a).

Please advise.

THANK YOU!!!!!

Comments (12)