SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

bulbs for in front of wall in front of roses

jacqueline9CA
9 years ago

This is rather off topic, but I asked it on the bulb forum and have gotten no responses, and I know lots of you know a lot about all kinds of things, and am hoping you can help me.

In the picture, the bed in the right background (excluding the 10 inch strip next to the sidewalk) is 8' wide and 50' long. It has had African daisies on it as a ground cover for 20+ years. They are pooping out - they look great in the Spring, as in this pic, but all summer they die back and look awful. The street trees have gotten bigger, so there is more shade, so perhaps that is why, in addition to their normal proclivity to go dormant in the summer. Consequently, the bed is being taken over by weeds which the daisies used to prevent. And, I don't really care why they are unhappy because I am sick of them.

So, what we are going to do is: leave the strip along the sidewalk alone (it is planted with various bulbs which do fine), leave the few roses which have crept into this bed when I wasn't looking (hee, hee), but otherwise dig up the whole thing and plant it with vinca minor. I have vinca minor in another bed along the sidewalk, and it is thriving.

My question is particularly about the far end of this bed, which, once the trees have leafed out, is very shady all summer. I want to plant some bulbs randomly in this bed with the vinca. Because of the low old stone looking wall (actually it is concrete made to look like stone - original to 1905) behind this bed, and the roses behind that, I prefer narrow vertical things, not large bushy things. They cannot be too short, because they have to be taller than the vinca (and the layer of leaves which is sometimes still on this bed in the Spring from our huge oak tree). They cannot be too tall, so that they will not fall over - I am NOT staking anything! I am planning on some iris and some daffodils, of course, but don't know what else, particularly in the shady part. I thought of alliums, but I hate those large spherical blooms on the long stems. I found pictures of some more natural looking ones, but they look alarmingly like the wild onion which is a weed in our neighborhood, and I don't want to plant a problem.

So, any thoughts? Particularly for things which might bloom in the summer or Fall, since the iris and daffodils bloom in the Spring? We are in No Cal, Mediterranean climate. Have deer. There will be water to this bed, and it will be irrigated March - Oct, but not too generously, once the vinca has established itself.

Thanks for your help, as usual.

Jackie

Comments (23)