SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nippstress

Roses that take one look at you and commit suicide

We've posted before about roses that you can't seem to grow but everyone else around you grows without problem. How about the extreme case of this? I have a handful of roses that so viciously dislike my yard, my climate, my gardening habits, or me that there's almost no point in planting them, as there's nothing I can do to even keep them alive long enough to see if they're a good rose.

Usually in my climate, the vast majority of roses that die do so because of winter kill, either not being robust enough going into the winter or not having hardy enough root systems to survive frozen ground. We don't usually have the kind of heat Arizona gets that would cook a rose to death in the summers, as long as they get enough water (I always plant with water crystals to aid in surviving my irregular watering habits), so if a rose doesn't survive the first summer it's either a poor location, poor care after planting, or some bizarre and entirely personal reaction to my gardening attire or b.o. or something. If I've tried three or four times in different locations, I'm inclined to the latter explanation.

The most extreme example of that this year was my bare root planting of Bull's Eye and Eyeconic Pink Lemonade. I planted plenty of relatively late bareroots from Edmund's clearance sale, and I'm an experienced rose gardener, so it wasn't a general thing about the source or my bone-headedness. My word, I never saw a rose less inclined to give my yard a chance than those two - in two different prime locations and plenty of loving care, they just shriveled. Not even fainting on a couch quivering for a while with a camellia in their hands - nope, just slit their respective throats and gave up the ghost. It makes me quite reluctant to try Hulthemias again in my climate, though Kim and Jeri make them sound so desperately appealing, and I would think my climate was dry enough for them.

Others that have repeatedly and viciously refused to survive long enough to see my winters:

Jam and Jerusalem - bareroot from three different places and never survived more than 4 weeks - ranks just behind the Hulthemias for viciousness and speed of suicide

LeeAnn Rimes, also bareroot from three places and maybe a month and a half survival ("Help, I've killed LeeAnn Rimes...")

French Lace - four times, two own root and two grafted, and just barely seen leaves, never blooms, before dying

Elle - three times grafted, once own root, and only one of the grafted survived long enough to die in my winter

Fragrant Cloud - so why did I try yet again for the fourth time this year? Still hoping to smell the supposed fragrance

Fragrant Plum - ditto on the supposed fragrance (just 3 times so far), for me this one epitomizes the wimpy lavender, and it's not even really lavender

How about you? Which roses are you scared to even touch in the garden center for fear the whole bunch dies on contact?

Cynthia

Comments (90)