SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
peachymomo_gw

Growing Climbing Roses in a Container

peachymomo
14 years ago

My mother has a very ugly garage that we would like to cover with some climbing roses. The front (eastern exposure) has four nice half-barrel planters spaced between and to the sides of the doors. I've tried growing annuals, including morning glories, in them and there just wasn't enough sun. It gets sun all morning but our mornings are often foggy, sometimes it doesn't burn off until after 11am. But on the hottest days there isn't any fog and sun bakes that garage from dawn to 1 pm. I need a plant that will tolerate shade but also occasional hot sun.

I hadn't even considered a climbing rose until I happened upon an article about Zephirine Drouhin and I looked up info on growing roses in containers. The barrels are all 24" wide, but are only 16"-18" tall. I'm not sure they will be large enough, but there won't be as much space for them as climbers usually get - they will have to grow more like a pillar than anything else.

The only requirement my mother has is that the flowers be pink, I considered Pink Jasmine but it only blooms once and I would rather have something a bit showier. Do you think Zephirine Drouhin climbers could grow happily in half-barrels if provided sufficient food and water?

Thanks!

Comments (7)