SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rosefolly_gw

A new take on own-root vs grafted for me

rosefolly
10 years ago

I have long been a supporter of own root roses. Most of the time it makes sense to me, except in the case of roses that are too feeble to make it on their own. I don't grow many of those.

However, I am weary of roses that spread enthusiastically by underground suckers in the attempt to take over large patches of real estate. My two worst offenders are the rugosa 'Dart's Dash' and the gallica 'La Belle Sultane'. I find myself pruning out suckers by the dozens, maybe even hundreds, every few weeks. It is a tedious chore, and one that is completely avoidable.

Now that Pickering is once again available to gardeners in the USA, I have taken advantage of the opportunity to order grafted versions of these two from them, along with 'Maiden's Blush', 'Tuscany Superb', and 'Rosa Mundi'. TS is only suckering lightly so far but it is young and I suspect it will get worse over time. RM reverted to the Apothecary Rose and I wanted to replace it anyway.

I keep saying that I will give up on the OB-OGRs. There are other roses better suited to my climate. (I grow them, too.) But I really do like the gallicas, albas, and damasks.

Fingers crossed!

Rosefolly

Comments (19)