SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lilamy_gw

Looking for an easy care thorny monster as a hedge

lilamy
16 years ago

I am getting ready to buy a few acres and put up fencing for my three miniature horses. I am going to have my fencing and then a 6' path and then on the edge of that I want to put up some sort of barrier to discourage people from wandering over and feeding the horses or going in the pasture. I want something tough and hardy that doesn't require a lot more than a drip line of water and that will bite hard if anyone tries to push through. I know this won't keep out everyone wanting to visit without coming to the house first, but I hope it will minimize problems. I was sort of thinking a row of chinese mutabilis might do the trick but was hoping for some other suggestions as well. Where we are now I have had a problem with neighbors coming around back (where I can't put up a barrier) and feeding the ponies things. I had a whopper of a vet bill from a well intended (I'm sure) neighbor feeding corn stalks to the horses and one mare is allergic to corn. Sigh. Signs will be up as well, but I need a better deterrent.

Thanks!

Amy

Comments (14)