SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
andrewbarocco

True Story! I think I found a "lost" or "unreleased" Buck rose!

AndrewBarocco
10 years ago

Ok so long story here but worth the read! As Hort student and a plant breeder, specifically of roses, the university I go to had given me a special opportunity. There was an abandoned, overgrown and hidden field of roses that were tested for Louisiana's climate (I've gone here for years and didn't even know about it). It never has been or ever will be open to the public. Once the university discovered there was once again someone here that cared about roses, they allowed me for one day to go and dig up whatever I could find and fit in my car before the field was destroyed by the forest machines the next day. This was a dream come true, to wander around a field of roses frozen in time and fight through the brush to claim whatever I pleased! The field of roses was so overgrown that young Live Oaks, and nearly 13ft tall Chinese Tallow trees were taking over. Most of the roses were completely covered in wild grass, brambles and just general weeds. It was so bad they warned me that many snakes live in the abandoned field and even an alligator nest had been found (This is Louisiana after all!). Naturally, I found many Knock Outs, and Buck Roses as the field in it's heyday was supposed to be testing roses that could do well here. As I fought my way through ants, wasps, brambles, and a 104 heat index I looked up each rose's name on HelpMeFind if I had never heard of it. After is was all said and done I survived with a few "spoils of war" aka roses that you just don't see at any nursery in Southern Louisiana. The rarer roses I decided to save were:

Prairie Star
Seafoam
Dorcas
Some strange 100% Thornless Rose who's tag had long since rotted away. Small Pink fragrant pom pom blooms.

Now the main point of this post is that I found another rose that is a true mystery. Obviously, if there is no tag there's no telling what a rose may be, but the strangest thing about this is that this one, single, strange buck rose I found had most of its name preserved and yet no one has ever heard of it! I looked everywhere online, and emailed several rose experts but still no one has a clue. Fortunately most of the tag was buried in the ground all these years and was protected from the sun.

Here's what we know, you can clearly make out "Prairie Inse...." and it's hard to tell in the pic, but upon closer examination the letter after the "e" is definitely an "n". Also, sorry I don't have a pic of the bloom. It suffered severely during transplanting and I thought it was dead but I noticed some roots growing back so I pruned back, and put it in the square pot you see so it can recover in the safety of my sunroom. More info about it: almost completely thornless, the bloom is of hybrid tea form, medium to small sized and Russet with an Ochre reverse (almost like a muddied out play off of Ketchup and Mustard). The fragrance is what is most strange to me, it is borderline unpleasant! I've never smelled a rose like this, but the best I can describe it is a strong, strong, strong, musky incense! The fragrance leads myself and others to believe that the name of this rose is "Prairie Insense" a misspelling or punny spelling of "incense". That's the true mystery here, there is nothing anywhere about a Prairie Insense rose! Could it be that this is a lost, forgotten or unreleased Buck rose? I would love to have everyone's opinions/thoughts on this because I'm stumped.

Comments (22)