SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pixiegrrl_gw

Termites, Mulch, Heavy Clay Soil, Raised beds

pixiegrrl
14 years ago

Ok here is the problem I have. I have HEAVY CLAY SOIL. I mean it took me a while to dig out I think less then a meter by less then a meter square foot by about 2ft deep using like 30 bags of soil (triple mix), peat moss, left over potting soil, etc.

I also live in an area that we studied for termites and I already had a home inspection and termites were present. The Orkin company has done the termite treatments and so far I'm in (I think) my 3rd year on thier pass inspection.

Now that I've said termites in the last paragraph it is real concern of mine. I never thought I had them before and had suspicions previous neighbours and street residents brought them in many years ago as I always smell/see wood burning chimneys so it is possible thier wood may have had termites and they spread out.

I would like to make a raised bed in my backyard. I am looking to errect a greenhouse as well. I have a designated approx 8.5 ft x 7 meters for my growing area. The greenhouse will be in the middle. I have a 6' x 8' greenhouse. That 1/2 ft clearence is my distance fromt he fence which I plan on mulching the side weeds down or may just lay down half slabs of patio.

I was thinking of using the cheapest untreated wood at Home Depot as I plan on using my raised beds for food production but then the termite thing hit me so I took a step back. The garden will be at the back of backyard and my backyard is approx. 9-9.5 meters on the diagonal.

I would also like to mulch my front ornemental garden as the weeds are starting to take over but the flower bed is just over 1 ft from my foundation and my concerns for termites arise again. I was thinking of using rubber mulch but it is about I think 2 times the cost of red cedar primium mulch if I recall right.

So my question to all of you experts and experienced green thumbs is what mulch is termite resistant? Also ahy material thoughts for the raised bed that is once again termite resistant?

Keep in mind the current economical conditions so money is tight but I still want it to look good while producing food at the same time.

Thank you in advance for the help. Sorry for the really long post asI wanted to explain as much as possible so people can help me out better.

Comments (3)