SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cupshaped_roses

Rose Petal Jam, Rose Hip Jam and Rose Syrup

cupshaped_roses
16 years ago

Roses can also be used to delight our taste buds:

During the season I collect rose petals from these fragrant roses: (Roses I grow no-spray)

Rose De Rescht

Autumn Damask

Gertrude Jekyll

Frederic Mistral

William Shakespeare 2000

The petals can be frozen in ziplock bags so you can make fresh rosesyrup in the wintertime.

I use the petals to make:

Rose Petal Jam (see link for step by step instructions):

Use the jam for breakfast on toast/bagels or scones for afternoon tea on your deck/patio, or add to Rose Ice Cream (See later)

Rose Hip Jam:

I collect Rose red hose hips from wild rugosa roses growing at the beach (or practically everywhere as long as it is not near roads). Rosehips makes a tasty orange jam that is loaded with Vitamin C. Rose hips contains 11 times more Vit C than Lemons. The Cleaned rose hips can be frozen to make batches of Rose Hip Jam out of season.

Recipe for Rose Hip jam:

-2 pounds of cleaned rosehips (cut in halves, seeds removed, and flower end and stalk cut away)

- 1 apple cut in small pieces

- a pint and a cup of water

- juice from 1 lime fruit

- 1 pound of cane sugar

- sure-jell or fruit jell

- 1 pound of cane sugar

Boil the rosehips, apple, water and sugar for about 40 minuttes, add the pectin (sure-jell or fruit jell as instructed on the package).

Pour the jam in to scolded glass jars. Store cold.

Making Jam is very easy and you will get a product with a much higher fruit content than you can buy in store. I make my own Blackberry, Strawberry, and blueberry jam too. For making jams copy and paste this link:

http://www.pickyourown.org/jam.htm

Rose Hip Syrup:

8 cups of rosepetals

3 cups of water

boil (simmer for about 15 min) pass the rosewater through a cloth.

Add

-4 cups of sugar

-juice from 1 lime fruit

and let it simmer until it is reduced to a syrup ( about 15 min or until it coats a cold spoon).

Lets syrup cool and add on to small bottles. Store cool.

Use Rose syrup for pancakes or add a little to whipped cream for cakes.

Rose Ice Cream:

6 pasteurized egg yolks

8 Tbsp cane sugar

2 Tbsp of Rose Petal jam

4 Tbsp of Rose syrup

2 pint of whipping cream

Mix the egg yolks and sugar with a beater until it becomes a smooth cream. Add the Rose Petal jam and Rose syrup and mix it a bit more.

Whip the cream with a beater to make whipped cream.

Carefully mix the the Rose Cream and the Whipped Cream in a bowl. Pour into plastic container(s) and place in the freezer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rose Petal Jam

Comments (7)