SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bellegallica

A Dozen OGR's

bellegallica
16 years ago

A Dozen Roses. Who came up with that one?

I was surfing around my favorite rose websites, avoiding what I was supposed to be doing. I ended up on Heirloom, clicked the "Old Garden Rose" link and counted the categories. Eleven. Wow. Almost a dozen. Then I realized they were missing the Tea class. A dozen OGR classes! In alphabetical order, as Heirloom does it, they are:

1. Albas

2. Bourbons

3. Centifolias

4. Chinas

5. Damasks

6. Gallicas

7. Hybrid Perpetuals

8. Mosses

9. Noisettes

1. Polyanthas
  2. Portlands
  3. Teas

Without getting into arguments or hair-splitting about what constitutes an OGR class, let's go by Heirloom's list and all pretend we have the climate to grow ONE member from each class. What would YOUR bouquet of a dozen roses look like?

Take your time figuring it out. I, for example, am very unfamiliar with the Albas, Mosses, and Centifolias. I'm doing lots of reading at Vintage trying to figure out which of each I would grow.

Incidentally, those of you who only go for repeaters, according to Vintage, there are repeaters in every class except the Gallicas, though the Centifolias barely make it because Vintage lists only one rare found rose as a repeating Centifolia.

I thought this would be fun. It's not like or unlike the other games I've seen where you can only choose one, two, or three favorites. You can choose a whole DOZEN, but only ONE from each class.

Have fun.

P.S. If one of your roses is sometimes classed in more than one category, take your pick, and pick another rose for the other category. (Yolande d'Aragon is considered by some to be a Hybrid Perpetual and by others to be a Portland.)

Comments (21)